Fondant Hair

Decorating By ginger6361 Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 12:52am by ginger6361

ginger6361 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:38am
post #1 of 8

Can someon tell me how to make fondant hair? Thanks

7 replies
xstitcher Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:50am
post #2 of 8

If you have an extruder that would work really well.

Here's a youtube video showing you how:

emlashlee Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:17am
post #3 of 8

I used the clay extruder to make teeny tiny strings for hay bales on a farm cake. I think it would be the right size for hair. You can check out my pics and see if you'd like. The one I bought is green aluminum and I got it at Michaels. Here is a pic: http://www.polyclayplay.com/Products/Extruder/ProdClayGunDesc.htm

FlourPots Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:24am
post #4 of 8

I also used the green extruder that's in emlashlee's link, with the 4th disk down (on the right side).

It was very easy, you can see here: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1452673⊂=1452675

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:36am
post #5 of 8

I make my fondant hair using a hand held garlic press. I prefer it to the extruder because I can gather "patches" of it to transplant.

I soften the fondant with some extra crisco, form a ball, and press it thru the press. If it needs to be extra long, I add more fondant before completely pressing out the original batch.

I cut it off of the press with a plastic knife and then "style" it.

HTH
Rae

CookieD-oh Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:40am
post #6 of 8

I've made clay angel ornaments for Christmas for years, and for the hair I always use a garlic press like BlakesCakes does. (Not exactly fondant, but the texture is pretty much the same!)

ceshell Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 6:16am
post #7 of 8

The Makin's extruder has a disc w/5-6 holes in it so it works well for patches too! Of course not nearly as many pieces in a "patch" as with a garlic press, but it's great if your press doesn't make the strands as fine as you'd like them. I got mine at polyclayplay.com too.

ginger6361 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 12:52am
post #8 of 8

Thanks to all of you!!! You guys know all the tricks of the trade! I didn't even think of my garlic press!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%