Does Anyhone Know How To Make This Fruit Decoration?

Decorating By ganesha Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 3:23am by jlynnw

ganesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ganesha Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:14am
post #1 of 3

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone knows how to make an apple sliver decoration. I have seen pictures of this type of decoration several times, but have never seen instructions for doing it.

I included one picture I found with an apple decoration.

I have seen it done with apples, but also with other fruit (like pears).

I know you must start with a very thinly-sliced piece of fruit. But, after that, I don't know what you do. It doesn't look candied and it doesn't look like it's just dried, either.

It makes such a nice decoration.

Does anyone know how to do this???

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!

Happy Baking,
E
LL

2 replies
ganesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ganesha Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:18am
post #2 of 3

Well, I may have found the way to do this.....I posted this on Yahoo! Answers as well, and got this response:

Preheat your oven to 200*F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Slice your apples (I like granny smiths for this) into rounds, as thin as humanly possible. No more than 1/8". If you have a mandolin or V slicer, this works great. Don't worry too much about seeds, either. Lay in rows on baking sheet, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, and bake for 2 and 1/2 hours, rotating once. Loosen with a spatula and then let them cool for 10 minutes before removing them. Will keep, airtight, in your cabinet for a week.

Sounds like it will work (although I really thought it was more than a dried apple).

But, if anyone else has a different idea, let me know!

Happy Baking
E

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:23am
post #3 of 3

that's about it! with or without the cinnamon. I also would put a bit of citric acid (lemon juice would work) to prevent over browning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%