Wire For Gumpaste Stars?

Decorating By txmom9802 Updated 18 Oct 2009 , 8:48pm by Cakepro

txmom9802 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:00am
post #1 of 13

What type of wire should I use for gumpaste stars that I want to use on top of a cake? Do you cover the part of the wire that is actually going into the cake with anything? Thanks for any help..... icon_confused.gif

12 replies
Mike_Elder Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:15am
post #2 of 13

I know it's supposed to be a "NO NO" to stick wire into a cake (so they tell me) but I use a plastic coated wire, or floral wire. If you want that effect, I don't know any other way
Mike

jlynnw Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:28am
post #3 of 13

I use the floral wire. Yes, separate the wire and the cake. I used coffee stir sticks to slide the wire into then into the cake. Some of the wires and covering have questionable, possible toxins in them.

Cakepro Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:55am
post #4 of 13

There recently was a recall of floral wire because it had dangerously high level of lead in it - with the danger being just HANDLING it!

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER put wire in cake! Like jlynn said, use a coffee stirrer, or you can use a drinking straw or bubble tea straw...all of which are FOOD SAFE.

There is no food-safe wire being marketed and sold, so don't ever stick it in cake - no matter what it's coated with.

emlashlee Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:14am
post #5 of 13

I've read several posts about this and don't quite understand how to use the bubble tea straws. So, you poke it into the cake, then slide the wire into the straw. Doesn't the end of the wire slide down into the straw and into the cake??? Enlighten me, please icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:18am
post #6 of 13

The length of the straw should be the same height as the cake. If you find the diameter of the straw too big and/or you would like your wires to stay stationary, pipe some royal icing into the straw and then insert your wires. Chocolate or candy melts work too if you want it to set up faster.

jlynnw Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 13

Exactly. I also like the benefit of easy removal with the straws and they can be royal iced in place and not wiggle all around. It is a pain to do all the work and then have the wires cut thru the cake and make a big mess. I learned the hard way before I found out I was trying to kill people with wires directly in the cake. icon_redface.gif

Peridot Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 13

How would you get melted chocolate or RI into a coffee stirrer straw? Bubble straws are huge! I use them for supports but I am not sure I would use them for putting wires into unless I was putting a big bunch of wired items into it.

When using straws to put wires in how do you cover up the big hole in top of your cake where you pushed it in? Putting a decoration over it is not always an option. Just wondering......

janeoxo Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 13

Why do you not use flower picks to stick the wires into, we can get them in the uk and they are easy to put in the cake as they have a pointed end and the wire cannot go right through them like straws. Wilton sell them for this purpose. thumbs_up.gif

jlynnw Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:59pm
post #10 of 13

I put the chocolate or RI into a small parchment cone, snip a small opening and pipe into the opening. The bubble straws will work if it is a large arrangement/grouping of wires. I try to get the smallest straw closest to the size of the wire(s). You can also use fondant or gumpaste. Just run the straw thru a ball and it will work itself in, then insert into cake, add wire, your done.

emlashlee Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:30am
post #11 of 13

Thank you SO much for helping me out with this. Now I get it! (and can't wait to try it!)

cre8_acake Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:48am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by emlashlee

Thank you SO much for helping me out with this. Now I get it! (and can't wait to try it!)

Neither can I. I was going to ask the very same question! thumbs_up.gif

Cakepro Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 8:48pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeoxo

Why do you not use flower picks to stick the wires into, we can get them in the uk and they are easy to put in the cake as they have a pointed end and the wire cannot go right through them like straws. Wilton sell them for this purpose. thumbs_up.gif

Because straws are dirt cheap, disposable, and customizable for the job you need (i.e., choosing the right diameter and cutting to the correct height).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%