Need Help With First Wedding Cake

Decorating By Faithbound Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 3:58am by SugarFrosted

Faithbound Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:36am
post #1 of 9

I have my first wedding cake due Saturday, November 7th. It is supposed to be four round tiers. The problem is I have a round pan set with three tiers that are 14 inches, 10 inches, and 6 inches. How do I fit a fourth tier in. My pan set has 3 inch sides as well. I was thinking I could use my 8 inche pans, but the sides are only 2 inches, and the bottom tier would have more space around the edges. Please explain to me the best way to get a four tier cake done. I would appreciate it so much! The cake is my gift to the bride and groom, so I would like it to turn out as well as possible.

8 replies
debster Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:54am
post #2 of 9

Do you have a 12" round that's 2" deep? You can just use that and fill them all as if they were 2" pans. You don't HAVE to make the 3"pans thicker if you don't want to. I would measure the batter though to make sure all pans were the same. Or an 8" Use what you have. Have fun and good luck.

I meant to add that people mix and match sizes all the time so you can have a 2" gap and a 4" gap now a days anything goes it seems. I just reread and if you have the 8" use it just measure that batter so they all come out the same heighth.

madgeowens Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:02am
post #3 of 9

You can also make a collar around cake pan to fill with more batter and thus get a three inch height

emlashlee Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:21am
post #4 of 9

Do you have to have a 4-layer cake? Could you just make up the extra servings using well-decorated cupcakes? You could still fill them or add a fondant decoration on top to make them extra special for the wedding.

Faithbound Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:29am
post #5 of 9

I offered to do three tiers and a sheet cake, but she wants four tiers. The collor idea is good, but is it going to look funny if I have two inch edges for the top three and four inches around the bottom? The 14,10,6 are all 4 inch differences, but if I add the 8 it leaves only the bottom with 4, and the rest with 2.

SugarFrosted Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:37am
post #6 of 9

Add the 8" and trim the 14" down to 12" ...Use a 12" cake cardboard as a pattern.
Then you have 6, 8, 10 and 12 with a 1" edge on each tier.

debster Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:38am
post #7 of 9

It doesn't look bad with the bottom having the bigger gap with ALL the ones above it being 2" Do you have someone that has dummies to show you the difference? Or stack your pans on top of each other and get a visual.

Faithbound Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:47am
post #8 of 9

Thank you sugar for the carving idea. Why the heck didn't I think of that...lol. You just made my night!!! I love this site!

SugarFrosted Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:58am
post #9 of 9

You're welcome! I'm happy to help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%