What Is Your Tip Of The Day??/

Decorating By korkyo Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 1:51pm by korkyo

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:16am
post #1 of 9

I was just working on a 3-d gituar cake. This time I used a sheet of butcher paper to work out the size, shape and such. Then it dawned on me... sometimes I'm slow.... It would be a good idea to save this for the next one.!!

Wow too obvious.

How about you all.... any tips of the day that will save some time or money?
thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:00am
post #2 of 9

I don't have any great tips, but I'm anxious to read everyone else's! icon_wink.gif

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:15am
post #3 of 9

(NOTE TO SELF) Don't forget to take the list to the store when buying cake supply/ingredients. I can't tell you how many darn times I have forgotten and had to make two to three trips.

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:18am
post #4 of 9

Dont drop anything today! I have dropped flour, chocolate flavoring, cake box and ALMOST a cake in the last two days. Dont have a clue as to what my problem is... so that is my goal for today.

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:22am
post #5 of 9

Tip: Don't leave fondant poker chips, that were just made, out on the counter when your friend comes over with her 3 children aged 5 and under. You will end up making more. icon_lol.gif

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:36am
post #6 of 9

Ok this one I heard on my local news station and I tried it and it works.

If you ever have a pan that has been scorched or used for let's say making chicken wings or lasagna and you dont feel like scrubbing it till your arm falls off...

just put it in the sink with some hot water and a fabric softener sheet.

Everything that was baked into it will wipe off literally!

Can be used on baking pans, roasting pans I have even used it on glass baking pans and it works like a charm every time!

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:55am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakin

(NOTE TO SELF) Don't forget to take the list to the store when buying cake supply/ingredients. I can't tell you how many darn times I have forgotten and had to make two to three trips.

Been there more times that I care to admit!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:09pm
post #8 of 9

"(NOTE TO SELF) Don't forget to take the list to the store when buying cake supply/ingredients. I can't tell you how many darn times I have forgotten and had to make two to three trips."

LOL Malakin!!!!

It's going to sound stupid, but I'm making a Disney Princess cake for my little girl for this weekend, and the "Under the Sea" part has lots of fish on it. I just discovered that if I bought some tiny little manicure scissors to clip away scales on the gumpaste fish, they would look spikey (in a good way), adding cool texture and getting done forty times faster than my alternative plans (making each scale and then pasting, or marking the scales with a veiner).

Also, I just discovered the (duh!) genious plan of making as much of the gumpaste artwork way way ahead of time as possible. SO much nicer!!!

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:51pm
post #9 of 9

Also, I just discovered the (duh!) genious plan of making as much of the gumpaste artwork way way ahead of time as possible. SO much nicer!!!

ME TOO!! I've gotten to where I am FINALLY planning ahead. I make my list on monday of the baking I need for that weekend and anything I can do, mix colors of fondant, make figures or parts of stuff. I do those on mon or tues. Makes the productions day WAY more plesant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%