Please Help...double Layer Cake?

Decorating By Bella214 Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 12:42pm by indydebi

Bella214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bella214 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:35am
post #1 of 9

I am using Wilton's Blues Clues pan (stock #2105-3060) for my sons second birthday. I am just using it as a template because I am changing the colors to turn "Blue" into My Pal Scout (by Leapfrog) because that is my son's favorite character.

However, it says use a double layer cake recipe. Does that mean I am making two separate cakes, or both cake batters go into the pan together? Ugh, I hate to ask something that probably sounds dumb lol, but I have never used a pan like this before, I shape all my cakes myself typically.

I am almost sure it all goes into the pan at once, but I need to make sure. According to Wiltons website it says "Make one 2-layer cake mix according to package or recipe directions. Pour the cake batter into pan, and if necessary, spread the batter around with a spatula to fill all areas of the pan evenly. Be careful not to touch sides or bottom of pan. Bake cake on middle rack of 350OF oven for 30-40 minutes or until cake tests done according to recipe directions."

8 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:43am
post #2 of 9

Yup it all goes into the pan at once.

Bella214 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:47am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Yup it all goes into the pan at once.

Thanks so much! Now to see how it turns out! Wish me luck! I never use pans like this!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:47am
post #4 of 9

A cake mix you buy in the grocery is referred to as a 2-layer cake mix (or a double layer cake mix) because when using 8" or 9" pans (the standard pan used by housewives when baking a cake for their family), it makes 2 of these cakes ..... a.k.a. a 2-layer cake.

The directions are just telling you to use a cake mix or a cake recipe that will make enough batter to make a 2-layer cake when baking in a 8 or 9" pan. Remember, these pans are sold for home use, so the directions are written with the assumption that it's a 'home user'.

You don't have to bake two cakes ... you need to put all the batter in the pan. thumbs_up.gif

Bella214 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:51am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

A cake mix you buy in the grocery is referred to as a 2-layer cake mix (or a double layer cake mix) because when using 8" or 9" pans (the standard pan used by housewives when baking a cake for their family), it makes 2 of these cakes ..... a.k.a. a 2-layer cake.

The directions are just telling you to use a cake mix or a cake recipe that will make enough batter to make a 2-layer cake when baking in a 8 or 9" pan. Remember, these pans are sold for home use, so the directions are written with the assumption that it's a 'home user'.

You don't have to bake two cakes ... you need to put all the batter in the pan. thumbs_up.gif

Okay, now I am going to ask one more question. I hate to admit that I am kind of cheating. My little guy likes funfetti cake, so i am using a box mix.....against my better judgement.

I bought two boxes. Do I need only use one of those boxes? I was going to make two boxes of cake mix lol and if I am not supposed to that would be a real mess.....

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:12am
post #6 of 9

I know that those kind of pans usually say 1 box worth but when I used them I always used more than 1 because I wanted it to be taller.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:23am
post #7 of 9

Yes just 1 box....as indy said 1 box of mix makes a "double layer" cake. 2 boxes may cause it to overflow in the oven or not cook evenly.

Good luck!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:55am
post #8 of 9

oops I am sorry I didn't mean to apply that I use the whole second box I only use some of it. But if you use a box mix extender such as WASC it would be ok

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:42pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella214

I hate to admit that I am kind of cheating. My little guy likes funfetti cake, so i am using a box mix.....against my better judgement.

There goes my hot button again! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

"Cheating" implies doing something illegal or immoral. last I heard, using a cake mix was neither.

Large commercial bakeries use cake mixes. They just happen to buy their's in 50 lb bags and "just add water" while you and I buy ours in 18 oz boxes and add water, egg and oil.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%