Fondx Users- Anyone Else Notice?

Decorating By Somethin-Sweet Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 1:04am by erinalicia

Somethin-Sweet Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 30

I have been using Fondx for over a year now and have love it! However, this last shipment I hate it!!! It smells different and is very sticky. It reminds me of Satin Ice. I plan on calling Cal Java in the morning and complaining. Its very difficult to work with. If this is their new formula, I guess I will be back to making my own again! icon_sad.gif

29 replies
Marina Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:26am
post #2 of 30

I just bought 5 buckets of FondX, but I have yet to open them. I will let you know once I do if there's a difference in mine. I love FondX...I always buy the virgin white (I think thats what it's called).

Jan14grands Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:27am
post #3 of 30

Now that you mention it, my last bucket of Fondx is the same way. Sticky! I thought it was the weather, or something. I've never had this problem before with Fondx.

Somethin-Sweet Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:46am
post #4 of 30

I know! Me either! Thats why I love Fondx. But the minute I opened the bucket, I could smell the difference. It smelled exactly like Satin Ice! I really dont wanna hafta change, but the 4 buckets I just bought, I dont think I will even use. Its really bad~Maybe if we all complain, they will bring back the old formula.

Rylan Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:38am
post #5 of 30

I thought it just smelled like that. It still tastes good though.

Somethin-Sweet Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 30

No, normally it does not really have a smell. Even my mom who helps me sometimes says she can tell the difference...............UGH!

Somethin-Sweet Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:31am
post #7 of 30

I did not get a chance to call yet (5 cakes this weekend!) but just wondering if anyone else has noticed a difference? I would love to tell them that many of us dont like the new formula. Thanks!

DDiva Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:48am
post #8 of 30

I bought a dozen containers about 3 weeks ago, and 6 about a week before that. I use it every week and have not noted a difference, and I have a really sensitive nose. I would definitely let them know; be sure to get the batch numbers from the buckets.
Maybe its the batch that your containers came from. I've used FondX since it was first introduced. This last shipment is the same as always. I was actually trying to figure out what the new formula was.

Keep us posted.

Cakepro Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:56am
post #9 of 30

What do you mean, new formula? Did they publish something? I have 40 pounds on the way.

Somethin-Sweet Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:57am
post #10 of 30

DDiva, thanks for your input. I just received this shipment last week. Before this shipment, I bought 6 the week before and did not notice a difference at all. Has anyone else bought any in the last week or so? If so, did you notice anything different? Thanks so much.

CakeDiva73 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:58am
post #11 of 30

Is Fondx better than Satin Ice?

Somethin-Sweet Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:00am
post #12 of 30

Well, before they changed it, I used to think so....................now I'm not so sure. I have used Satin Ice before, and kept having problems with it drying out and tearing at the corners. Fondx did not give me these problems, until this last shipment.............. icon_cry.gif

Somethin-Sweet Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:11am
post #13 of 30

Good Luck Cakepro..............If I could, I would send back the 2 I have left over from this weekend and go back to making my own!..... Be sure and let me know if notice anything...........I'm telling you, I noticed the smell the minute I popped the top!

Somethin-Sweet Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:49am
post #14 of 30

UPDATE!!! I contacted the company, and they told me that there was indeed a bad batch...........not a change in the formula.........what a relief! They are replacing the 2 I have left.

cylstrial Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:23am
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethin-Sweet

UPDATE!!! I contacted the company, and they told me that there was indeed a bad batch...........not a change in the formula.........what a relief! They are replacing the 2 I have left.

I'm glad that they are replacing your fondant.

fafruia Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:36am
post #16 of 30

Fondex is my absolute favorite fondant. I am thrilled that it hasn't changed and it was just a bad batch! Whew!!

Somethin-Sweet Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:50am
post #17 of 30

OMG- me too! I just knew I was going to hafta start making my own again! Fondx is the very best........IMHO.

DDiva Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:30am
post #18 of 30

Glad to hear that the mystery is solved!
I love their fondant; can't imagine using anything else.

kkitchen Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:00am
post #19 of 30

Where can I order the fondant at a good price?

Thanks

Somethin-Sweet Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:12am
post #20 of 30

I love fondant source.com *remove space* ...The shipping is super quick, and you can use the discount code of cakecentral and get 10% off..

kkitchen Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:17pm
post #21 of 30

Thank you soooo much for the information. I will try it. I normally use sating ice, but, I will surely try.

DianeLM Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:40pm
post #22 of 30

Can you post the bad batch number so we can all check our inventory?

Katie-Bug Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:48pm
post #23 of 30

Oh, I just saw this and have been thinking the same thing!! I thought it was the weather at first, but it's cold now. It's awful!! I can't color it because it's so sticky!!

I'm calling ASAP...do I call CalJava or the store I bought it at? Hum... icon_confused.gif

lecrn Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:55pm
post #24 of 30

The last tub that I got was very sticky(virgin white). As a matter of fact, I used a lighter blue shade than I had planned b/c as I was adding color, it was falling apart. I purchased it from fondant source. I wonder if I got a bad tub?

lecrn Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:04pm
post #25 of 30

I bought a 10# tub & have about half left over. I just smelled it & it smells like Satin Ice. Not really a bad smell, but sort of chemically.

Somethin-Sweet Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:31pm
post #26 of 30

Yep! Thats exactly the same problem I was having! The batch # is

0909 2600

Good Luck! They are going to replace my two tubs. I normally order from Fondant Source and I have talked to Brian and he has pulled the bad batch, so hopefully no one else will be getting that! Im just happy to know this is not a formula change..................

lecrn Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:36pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethin-Sweet

Yep! Thats exactly the same problem I was having! The batch # is

0909 2600

Good Luck! They are going to replace my two tubs. I normally order from Fondant Source and I have talked to Brian and he has pulled the bad batch, so hopefully no one else will be getting that! Im just happy to know this is not a formula change..................

The # on mine is
0909 1818

I may just email them & ask if they've had any other complaints on earlier batches. I've ordered it twice before & it was wonderful to work with. I actually had to add some Wilton fondant to get it to roll out half way decent.

Katie-Bug Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:55pm
post #28 of 30

Ok, mine is 2468 but it is horribly sticky. I can't get it to take any color, it's just goes to mush!!

I tried calling Cal Java, no one ever answers.

I tried the store I bought it at, and the lady working tried to explain that fondant doesn't take dark colors and that I'd need to brush it with petal dust to bring it up... icon_rolleyes.gif I tried to explain to her that it wasn't just dark colors, but even without any color it was that way...

I"m sick...I've got Halloween cakes this weekend- lots of orange, purple, green, and gray and I can't do anything with my fondant.. icon_cry.gif

Somethin-Sweet Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:36pm
post #29 of 30

I know, its very frustrating! Try calling Sweet Art- they are the ppl who actually make the Fondx...........their # is

888-287-8455

erinalicia Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:04am
post #30 of 30

I tried FondX for the first time last week for a wedding cake and as soon as I opened it, I thought it smelled just like Satin Ice. I didn't taste it, so I don't know if it tastes like Satin Ice.

It was a pain to work with too, and I found a hair on it. It looked like an eyebrow or eyelash, short... although I guess it could have been a bristle from a brush or something. Who knows. I didn't freak out about it, I just removed it and a small area around it and threw them away.

I didn't find anything else in the remainder of the 10 pounds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%