What Are The Unique Things You Use To Imprint On Fondant?

Decorating By melmar02 Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 9:16pm by bobwonderbuns

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 41

I'm making a blanket with a quilted look tonight and a thought came to mind - What do I have around the house that I could use to make different imprints on fondant?

I see them use square dowels on tv. I'm just curious what else everyone else uses besides the Wilton product and what effects you achieved.

Thanks!

40 replies
jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 41

I used a cheap terry cloth towel to get a hamburger patty impression for a fondant cheeseburger icon_smile.gif Turned out perfect!

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 41

I have a scroll work candle holder I've used. I'm interested to hear what other people can suggest!

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 41

If you have any corrugated carboard, you can cover it with saran wrap and then use that to make a nice impression of lines. I used that for my cupcake-themed cake in my photos.

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 41

I just made a little baby blanket and when rolling it out on my counter it picked up the counter's impression (my counter is not smooth) - looked kind of cool!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 41

I have used leather tools to mark on the board or use for cutouts on the board that won't be eaten.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 41

I like to use the net bag that onions or oranges come in, washed out of course

KTcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTcakes Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 41

I used my icing tips to make unique impressions on gumpaste butterflies. This is fun to think about!

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 41

Wow I never thought about some of these things!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 41

I used real lace for the impression on some long fondant gloves. Then I luster dusted them to highlight the pattern and they looked like real lace IMO anyhow..LOL You can crinkle up foil and smooth it back out to make a neat fabric like pattern. You can crinkle the foil up several ways for various effects.

Lambshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lambshack Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:18pm
post #11 of 41

I've used some faux hand-tooled leather impression fabric from Hobby Lobby to make western details and belts before. Its a little pricey as its meant for upholstery, but its pleather and 1/3 of a yard covers a lot of fondant.
Works great!

chedaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chedaw Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:34am
post #12 of 41

Buttons. You can get some really pretty ones.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 6:06am
post #13 of 41

I've used silicone potholders...I have one that looks like tire tread and one with flowers. I have a placemat that makes a leather pattern. I use the clear plastic scrapbook stamps all the time, especially on fondant-covered cake boards. You can use a pattern tracing wheel to make a stitched look. A drinking straw or hollow lollipop stick will make different sized dots.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 7:37am
post #14 of 41

I have used suncatchers (washed of course) on fondant cakes. Maybe not all that unusual, but I use patchwork cutters also.

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:12am
post #15 of 41

I use acrylic stamps for scroll work. They have never been used with ink, and i lay saran wrap on the cake before I imprint.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:48am
post #16 of 41

The wheel from your kids LEGO makes a fantastic "zipper impression"

Ventilator tube ( have to find a nurse/doctor friend to grab it for you icon_smile.gif - don't take it off granny in the nursing home LOL) makes a great smocking roller

The plexiglass sheeting (acrylic) that they use for the recessed fluorescent lighting - makes great grid/honeycomb like patterns.[/list]

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:53am
post #17 of 41

Ive got pots and pots full of little scrap booking stamps, theres a store near me that sells them DIRT cheap (there never used on scrapbooking btw lol, just sugarpaste. Ive got all different kinds, christmas themed, easter themed, halloween, they make fantastic little effects round the cake and on the board icon_smile.gif

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:01am
post #18 of 41

If you have young kids at home Play-Doh has some pretty cool stuff. Oh, well, even if you don't have young kids the stuff is still cool. I heard someone say that fondant is like Play-Doh for adults.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:15am
post #19 of 41

I don't use them but I've heard people use those texture plastic sheets that usually covers the flourecent ceiling lights.

You can also use use those screens for stitching, strainers, placements, thin textured chopping mats and much more.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:30pm
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kims_cakes

If you have young kids at home Play-Doh has some pretty cool stuff. Oh, well, even if you don't have young kids the stuff is still cool. I heard someone say that fondant is like Play-Doh for adults.

Oh, yeah! I don't know what I am going to do when my kids are gone and I am buying playdough toys! icon_redface.gif I have an extruder from playdough that you slide a ruler on and get different shapes. I like the stars. Never been used on playdough even though they say you "can" eat the stuff. icon_confused.gif Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:15pm
post #21 of 41

I bought my grandson some of the "HUGE" legos. They make nice impressions, round, square.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:37pm
post #22 of 41

i have used many strange things for effects on fondant like, the cuff of a sock to make the pattern on a christmas stocking cake. i use lots of clay impession mats that you can not get in fondant mats and i also use a lot of clay modeling tools as it is just the same as modeling fondant.i have also got a straw hat in my caking tool box to get a woven effect.and i scunch up foil to get different effects.i also like others have said use stamps and scrapbooking bits that have only been used on fondant.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:57pm
post #23 of 41

I used Press N Seal to get a leathery "hide" effect. And I used a strainer to get a segmented spider eye.

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:11pm
post #24 of 41

I have used a lot of my daughter's play kitchen stuff for impressions, alot of the utensils cups, etc have a raised design that works really well for fondant. plus the fake food lot of times has neat designs on them icon_smile.gif

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:17pm
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonimarie

I have used a lot of my daughter's play kitchen stuff for impressions, alot of the utensils cups, etc have a raised design that works really well for fondant. plus the fake food lot of times has neat designs on them icon_smile.gif

Totally agree - my daughter has little fake pieces of lettuce - that thing makes an awesome veiner LOL.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 6:28pm
post #26 of 41

I needed wood-grain so I rolled out my fondant, covered it in saran wrap, took it outside, put it up on the fence and rolled over it a couple of times, worked perfect. My DH watched me the whole time, puzzled look on his face, when I came back inside and unwrapped it, he came over looked at it and just shook his head.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 6:29pm
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwebb68

I needed wood-grain so I rolled out my fondant, covered it in saran wrap, took it outside, put it up on the fence and rolled over it a couple of times, worked perfect. My DH watched me the whole time, puzzled look on his face, when I came back inside and unwrapped it, he came over looked at it and just shook his head.

That's cool!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 4:08am
post #28 of 41

bump

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:35pm
post #29 of 41

I use a strip of the plastic sheeting you adhere to the clear glass panes around your front door to make them less see-through.

keflyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keflyn Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:56am
post #30 of 41

whiskers is amazing....it's my little whisk with the egg that stands up for a handle, I'm currently using him to drape fondant ghosts over

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%