Gumpaste Frills

Decorating By kickasscakes Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 1:58pm by Rylan

kickasscakes Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 7

Question:

I love the look of the gumpaste frills around a cake, and am thinking of trying it on my next cake. Any tips on how to do this?
Also, I know that gumpaste dries hard as rock so I am kinda thinking it is pointless, as you won't be able to cut into it, or eat it... so what is the point...? How do I suggest that the customer go about cutting it? I would think they will be surprised to see it is inedible?

Is it worth it? Thoughts?

6 replies
bashini Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 7

Hi there, you can mix 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. I use gumpaste only to make flowers. And here is a great video,

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=thefoodcourt#p/u/12/bpvoTXF-7BY

HTh. icon_smile.gif

kickasscakes Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 7

The part of the video with the frills is blacked out. Can hear it but can't see it icon_sad.gif Thanks so much for trying. I will keep looking! icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 7

Here is another video:

After you watch it you can continue on to video 2. But I think video 1 has a good description of how to make the frills.

GL!

kickasscakes Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 7

Great!! Looks pretty easy!
They show using all gumpaste. Would that not taste terrible, though?

grandmom Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:06am
post #6 of 7

I made frills out of fondant without any gumpaste and it worked fine. I used a technique very similar to the one in the first video link above. I did have to prop them up with toothpicks until they dried, but only because I wanted them to stand away from the cake. They cut easily and tasted good!

See the Princess Cake in my photos.

Edited to add link to instructions I found on the web and used for the Princess Cake frills:

http://www.cakescanada.com/HowTo/Ruffles_101.pdf

Rylan Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 7

Check the link on my signature. There are tutorial videos regarding your question.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%