I know this question has been batted about quite a bit here, but I'd like to ask specifically those out there who have used both Americolor gel and Chefmaster liqua-gel colorings a couple of questions. Feel free to throw in other brands you think bear consideration - I've used Americolor (and -ahem- Wilton) so I've got that as a basis for comparison.
1. Taste. Is there a comparative difference in the ick factor, especially in reds/blacks? Who gets your vote?
2. Intensity. Is there a difference in the amount of product you have to use?
3. Development. Is there a difference in how long it takes to see the true color (especially reds and blacks)?
1. Are you using the gel or the liqua-gel, and is there a difference? I tend to find that I prefer squeeze bottles but that might just be b/c Wilton gel packaging is particularly messy? (Is Chefmaster's gel packaging less of a leaking nightmare?)
2. Does Chefmaster liqui-gel work with flo-coat for candy?
Thanks to all for your input, and feel free to mention any tidbits I forgot to ask about!
I have used both and I prefer Americolor. It seems to take less color than Chefmaster. Chefmaster gel is a little thin for my taste. As for flavor, I have not noticed any negative flavors in either one of them. Americolors seem to be truer colors and come to full color fairly quickly.
These are just my opinions, but I hope it helps.