Fresh Flowers On Cake

Decorating By jhuntl01 Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 5:40pm by leah_s

jhuntl01 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 3

Ok so I have a bride who wanted the 6" anniversary tier raised and for the love of me could not decide how she wanted it separated. So I get an email from her today and thank goodness she thinks she knows. Here is my dilema, she wants roses and baby's breath, but she wants to buy them at the supermarket that morning and have me put them on. My questions are:

1. Is that other words is there any poisonous stuff that the supermarket would use as opposed to the flower shop?

2. I am a little concerned about quality, I don't want it to be an eyesore on the you think she will be able to find qulity flowers?

3. I have never done flowers between layers, how many do you think I will need?

4. What seperator would I use?

I know I sound like an idiot but in all my cakes I have never used that technique and I am a bit lost.

2 replies
KHalstead Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 3

if you're worried about the flowers coming in contact with the icing why not just put a cut out circle of wax paper on the top of the cake and then arrange the flowers on top of that? Then whatever dirt/pesticides may be on them won't matter anyhow.

I do think she might be able to get quality roses at the grocery store, they order their roses just like everyone else. Depending on how many she needs she might call and ask what day they get their deliveries for flowers (I did this for my wedding, we used over 200 roses for table decor, etc.) and we picked them up before they ever got put on the shelf and paid $4.00/doz. for long stemmed roses, you're not gettin for that at a florist! lol

leah_s Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 3

If you're using SPS, then you use the multi-piece leg, using only the 5" and one 2" extension. Place the plate as normal, except that the plate will be sticking up in the air, creating airspace above the tier. After you place the top tier on the plate, then cut the flower stems to about 2" and stick them into the airspace. Do not stick the flowers into the cake - just sideways into the airspace.

You'll have to work with whatever flowers the bride provides. The quality of the flowers is not in your job description.

How many flowers? More than you assume.

Quote by @%username% on %date%