Chocolate Fountain Wisdom

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 9:45am by cownsj

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 13

So my friend has special chocolate for her fountain--it is solid at room temp--I think the brand of fountain is Sephora or something like that. I might or might not help her with it at her daughter's wedding--but my experience with chocolate fountains is to prepare the chocolate for someone else to fill & man the fountain etc.

So my experience was that you gotta add a ton of oil to keep the chocolate flowing. I think we used ganache too--it's been a while--can't remember.

Is there a product anyone is aware of that will be solid at room temp and flow well after you microwave it? I'm guessing the fountains have a heater in them correct?

How could it be solid at room temp & keep flowing without some oil or something? She said it has more cocoa butter--dude, cocoa butter is solid at room temp so the fountain has a heater?

12 replies
millermom Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 13

cocoa butter is SOOOO much better than oil! It gives a nice consistency and texture. I just melt small blocks of it in with my chocolate in the microwave, and then put it in the fountain.

Mine are from Lorann oils, and I add 2 1oz. squares per bag of chocolate chips. (I use milk chocolate chips)

HTH

sadsmile Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 13

Kate you need to ask MOM! AKA-Indydebi...LOL

leah_s Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 13

Sephra is the BEST, ever! Best fountains and best chocolate. It is specifically made to use in chocolate fountains and flows effortlessly. Best part - just open the bag and pour it in. Then wait for it to melt. Really, best chocolate for fountains.

I tried Merckens that's made for fountains. Horrid stuff.

KHalstead Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 13

wilton sells chocolates for fountains that already have the extra cocoa butter added......not sure how the price compares but if you don't feel like messin' with it

I saw them at wal-mart in the cake deco. aisle

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Sephra is the BEST, ever! Best fountains and best chocolate. It is specifically made to use in chocolate fountains and flows effortlessly. Best part - just open the bag and pour it in. Then wait for it to melt. Really, best chocolate for fountains.

I tried Merckens that's made for fountains. Horrid stuff.

Yay!!! icon_biggrin.gif

She checked into renting one and decided that out & out buying one was just as efficient~So we're all set!

Thank you, Sweet CakeBuddies!!

You should see the beautiful crystal bouquets & boutineers (sp?) they made--stu.nning.

indydebi Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Absolutely agree.

cownsj Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 13

Sephra is the very best, and their price for buying a 20 lb. case is very reasonable. It works very easy, and the taste is top notch. If you want to dip or mold your own candies, use their molding candy. You'll never know the difference between theirs and top quality real chocolate. Their premium chocolate for the fountains though, is real chocolate, just specially made for use in fountains. If you want to try a smaller amount. their 4 lb. bag, they always have a coupon handy for 10% off.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:40pm
post #9 of 13

Dude, it's a three hour deal w/ dancing and tons of Italians--she bought a box I'm talkin' a large box of chocolate --- the box of chocolate is as big as the fountain box -- we're doing the mother load chocolate fountain.

icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you, additional Sweet Cake Buddies (see above for the technicolor version icon_biggrin.gif )

leah_s Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:52pm
post #10 of 13

[quote="K8memphis-"]She checked into renting one and decided that out & out buying one was just as efficient~So we're all set!.[/quote]

Well, crap! My fountain is for sale. 34" Sephra. I coulda made you a deal.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:21am
post #11 of 13

She never asked me about anything--I'm volunteering to help out on the tail end of her thing--it's a week from Saturday--of course I never knew yours was for sale either...but... anyhow.

Woulda been a good match huh.

Sugarchic Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:33am
post #12 of 13

Try Chocoley chocolate. They make some especially for fountains, just microwave and pour. I always get the milk chocolate. They are out of Georgia and are very helpful.

cownsj Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:45am
post #13 of 13

I actually do half and half mix of milk and dark chocolate. Works great, and the people at Sephra told me that alot of the party planners they work with do that as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%