Pricing For Tennis Racket Cake

Decorating By amberc727 Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 9:06pm by __Jamie__

amberc727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberc727 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 6

I have someone who wants me to make a tennis racket cake for them. It would be actual size of a real racket, cake made from scratch, homemade buttercream and marshmallow fondant. I don't know how much to charge as I usually don't sell my cakes. I know this is going to be kind of involved, so I definitely want to charge for my time. Here are my costs: (I use mostly organic ingredients)

Buttercream: $8
Fondant: $5
Cake & Filling: $15
Board: $3
--------------->Estimated total for ingredients $31

I was thinking of charging $100 for the cake, what do you think?

5 replies
Carlymoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlymoon Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 6

I think that seems really reasonable and I don't see why they'd have a problem paying that for a custom cake WITH fondant icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 6

$300 to start. You'll be sorry soon enough if you charge that little for such custom work.

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlymoon

I think that seems really reasonable and I don't see why they'd have a problem paying that for a custom cake WITH fondant icon_smile.gif

That is no where near reasonable, it's ridiculous. Ridiculousy low. thumbsdown.gif

So, ingredients cost= $31.

Your time then, for all this work, attention to detail, baking, making fondant, decorating a board (oh more hard costs there), is worth what, $69?

amberc727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberc727 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 6

See I'm new to making and selling my cakes. How would I begin to know how to start pricing these cakes?

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 6

Right, so do some more research before you spout off a price to someone, and you end up back here complaining that cake-ing is too much work for the amount of money you're being paid. It's a lot of work, but a lot of us get paid quite well for it. We never allowed ourselves to be taken advantage of, because we did our research before beginning to sell. This is a good place to get a feel for pricing. It's very sad to see people practically giving away cake for free and then wondering if this whole business is worth it or not. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%