What Else Can I Add To These Flowers?

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 5:30pm by Melvira

cherrycakes Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 32

I put these gumpaste flowers together but I feel like there's something missing so I'm wondering if anyone could suggest something. The cake will be 2 11x15's together - 15x22 and will have writing in the centre. The icing will be cream cheese. I just feel like it needs to be brightened up a bit. I would like to add some leaves - if I do fall colours will they compete with the flowers? Or would dark, solid green leaves be better? Is there another colour that I should add to make it pop a bit more? Thanks for any suggestions!
LL

31 replies
sarkee Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 32

the flowers are beautiful. I love fall colors. Dark green leaves would probably help, but I agree with not wanting to take away from the flowers. A nice border will add to it as well without taking the focus from the flowers.

tatorchip Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 32

I like it as is, I would not change anything or add anything, it is stunning love it

cherrycakes Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 32

Thanks for your comments and suggestions! Do you think I should do the writing in dark green?

Lambshack Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 32

It's beautiful and so detailed, but I think maybe some leaves to use as filler. I think green would set the flowers off quite nicely. (Same way black makes everything pop a little!).
Beautiful!!!

emlashlee Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:52am
post #6 of 32

The flowers are already gorgeous, really. But...if you felt like you needed to add a little extra to them, I like it when the centers have little indentations/dots in them. It just adds a little texture contrast. Although, it looks like they're already done and dry. Maybe making teeny tiny black balls of gumpaste and attaching to centers. Good luck!

zdebssweetsj Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:06am
post #7 of 32

Looks beautiful just as it is,but dark green leaves would look good also.

LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:06am
post #8 of 32

Maybe some scroll work?

Melvira Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:07am
post #9 of 32

Absolutely leaves. Your flowers are gorgeous, and leaves will just highlight them and make them look natural. When I do flowers on a cake I always think the flowers look odd as I'm placing them, then once I go back and tuck all the leaves in, it's like magic! All of a sudden it's gorgeous!! Very nice flowers! Good luck, whatever you decide!

jlynnw Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:21am
post #10 of 32

I think a nice dark green leaf would be great. I would pick a flower color for the writing. Beautiful flowers.

cherrycakes Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:43am
post #11 of 32

Thanks everyone for your ideas! I'll start making leaves tomorrow!!

fondantgrl Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:55am
post #12 of 32

No need to add anything to these flowers. They are beautiful.. just the way it is.. icon_biggrin.gif

jlynnw Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:35pm
post #13 of 32

I must say that you do have the best decorated pan! I so love those flowers, will you please post a picture on this thread with the finished cake? I love fall and gerbers.

all4cake Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:01pm
post #14 of 32

They're beautiful! I agree...leaves would wrap it up.

Color of writing? Any of those colors would be fine or even another color altogether that's in the same family as the colors shown. What color borders? If you're doing borders, maybe consider a top border the same color as the base icing (so it doesn't collide or deter from the top decorations) and a bottom border the same color as the writing...especially if you go with a color separate from the colors shown (it'd tie in the writing with the rest of the cake nicely). JMESHO

ETA: or even if both borders were same as the base color...to add a ribbon of icing behind and above the bottom border...

pianocat Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:03pm
post #15 of 32

I would do leaves that are dark green. I agree that the centers need some dimension. Very beautiful flowers.

vagostino Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:16pm
post #16 of 32

Just being picky, i think the centers will look better with some dimension, maybe piping with royal icing tiny dots? also some green leaves, but not too much since the flowers are already stunning!
I'm just being picky,I'm sure your client will love it!

Melvira Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:12pm
post #17 of 32

Ooh, I will 'second' the request for a pic of the finished product!! I can't wait to see, as it will be so gorgeous!

What color writing will be affected by what color the cake will be? Will this be on a stark white cake, or a deeper chocolate icing? (Man, those flowers would look amazing on some ganache... something dark and fall-ish!) If the background icing is going to be light, then definitely do your writing in one of the darker shades... the deep reddish-orange would be lovely, or even the same dark green that you do the leaves. If the back ground is dark, maybe a lighter orangey color or a deep golden yellow. I can hardly see how you could make a mistake... there are so many gorgeous options to go with these flowers.

cherrycakes Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:20pm
post #18 of 32

Wow! I'm overwhelmed with the reponses I'm getting about my questions!! This is why I'm incredibly addicted to CC!!

Melvira, the cake is going to be carrot with cream cheese icing and so I was thinking I would go with the same colour as the berries (the reddish-orange that you suggested) for the writing. I'll definitely keep your suggestions for ganache or a darker background if I make these flowers again. I think that would look amazing too!

(now I hope I can live up to all of your expectations No pressure here....icon_smile.gif)

Melvira Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:25pm
post #19 of 32

Oh yah, the reddish orange will look amazing!

And you will have no trouble living up to our expectations because we only expect you'll give it your best effort. thumbs_up.gif If you have any qualms about that, you have to see the video link I put here... it MIGHT change your life!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654260.html

cherrycakes Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:31pm
post #20 of 32

Melvira, you're very encouraging! And yes, I am putting my best effort into it because it's for our assitant pastor's farewell service. Also, I know I have a higher power helping me out with this one icon_smile.gif

I saw this link when you posted it originally and started watching it but couldn't finish it so I'll sit down and watch the whole link later. Thanks for the reminder!

Melvira Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 7:05pm
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

Melvira, you're very encouraging! And yes, I am putting my best effort into it because it's for our assitant pastor's farewell service. Also, I know I have a higher power helping me out with this one icon_smile.gif

That's awesome! What a nice thing for you to do!

jlynnw Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:50am
post #22 of 32

Hey Mel, maybe we can get her to make us one to share. A nice chocolate cake, mocha filling, covered in ganache, those flowers. It would be a nice reason to meet.

That cake is going to look fabulous. I am so excited to see it. I have been bitten by the fall bug (whatever is opposite of spring fever). Those colors and gerbers are just done amazingly beautiful.

patticakesnc Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:56am
post #23 of 32

green leaves...definitly

Melvira Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:16am
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

Hey Mel, maybe we can get her to make us one to share. A nice chocolate cake, mocha filling, covered in ganache, those flowers. It would be a nice reason to meet.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... you...are...killing...me... I hope you know that. In a good way of course. And baby, you don't have to ply me with cake to get together. Any time, I'd be happy to plan a little soiree! thumbs_up.gif

cherrycakes Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:13am
post #25 of 32

So, here it is...

Thanks again for all of your suggestions! I'm quite happy with how it turned out although the cream cheese icing gave me some grief but all in all it came out okay.
LL

cherrycakes Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:19am
post #26 of 32

I forgot to add another close up picture of the flowers. After your suggestions I did add more dots with royal icing to the centres.
LL

emlashlee Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:24am
post #27 of 32

Oh, they turned out great and your rope border is very nice, too.

all4cake Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:25pm
post #28 of 32

It turned out beautiful!

jlynnw Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:37pm
post #29 of 32

Just beautiful!

sarkee Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:08pm
post #30 of 32

Beautiful......great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%