Shelf Life Of Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By letsgetcaking Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 2:53pm by letsgetcaking

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 4

Okay, I was pretty sure I knew this, but now I'm concerned. I thought I'd read somewhere on here that you could store homemade MMF at room temperature for long periods of time, as long as it was wrapped tightly in a couple layers of plastic wrap and then stored in a ziplock bag. So, that's what I planned to do. I made the fondant late Monday night and wanted to use it on cookies for Friday night (five days later). This morning I ran across something online that said you can store it for weeks in the refrigerator. Now I can't find anything saying how long (or even if) it can be stored outside of the refrigerator. I'm panicking a little because I won't have transportation before the party to purchase more ingredients. Should I throw out the fondant and just make royal icing, or is it okay to use? Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

3 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 4

I put a light coat of crisco, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in a ziplock baggy in my pantry for MONTHS. If needed, I nuke at 5 second intervals when I use it.

mama_amy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama_amy Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 4

I have kept MMF in my cupboard for 2 months and had it be fine. I wrap it in a layer of plastic wrap and vacuum sealed it. I have never heard that you have to keep it in the fridge. It should be fine.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you, thank you, thank you, both ddaigle and mama_amy! This is wonderful news!

I have a second question now, if you don't mind. I used Rhonda's MMF (which includes real lemon juice). Will that make a difference? Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%