Tip To Keep Cakes From Cracking

Decorating By cakesdivine Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 2:25am by cakesdivine

cakesdivine Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 5

No this isn't a disaster story, but I have read so many "my cake cracked" comments on here that I just have to share.

The easiest and most full proof way to keep your cakes from cracking is to line the bottom of your pans (especially the large ones) with parchement paper! The paper acts as a binding agent and the cake shouldn't crack even straight out of the oven.

If your cake ever does crack then make sure you use enough buttercream or ganache to "seal" the cracks, crumb ice then refrigerate or better yet freeze it. THEN add an thicker layer of butter cream, refrigerate again if you need to cover with fondant.

There have been times I have run out of parchement and was forced to bake the cake and dump it without, almost always cracks during the dumping, and I have had some pretty bad ones happen and NEVER has anyone been the wiser. You have to have time to deal with it if it does crack, so plan your timeline as if every cake you do is going to crack into that puzzle that you will have to piece together. That way when it doesn't happen you are done earlier, and can take a breather before you have to deliver, or get a little more rest time in after the fact icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
nonnyscakes Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 5

Great Tip. Thanks.

Callyssa Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 5

Oh dear girl, where were you last Friday??!! I had my first disaster to date, and what started out as a tiny hairline crack turned into an earthquake!! Completely split in half; however, I'm CERTAIN that had more to do with the fact that I had carved it smaller on the bottom than the top, and I always use your wrapping for moistness technique...I just don't think that's a good combination! LOL I can laugh about it now, but there were some very unsavory words rumbling around here last weekend!

cakesdivine Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 5

Callyssa - sent you a PM! icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:25am
post #5 of 5

Okay I put this in the Cake Disaster forum because so many in that forum were having issues with cracked cakes.

It is getting out of hand here all the deleted posts for no good reason, posts being moved from one forum to another and NO notification given to the OP as to where or why!

Request to MODS, please notify the OP or poster if your remove/move someone's post/topic and to the reason why!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%