Oh No, What Am I Going To Do?

Decorating By ranbel Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 1:14am by ranbel

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:49am
post #1 of 12

I have a wedding cake next weekend and the original time to be able to get into the venue to set up was 10am...now the client is telling me I can't get in until 3:30pm...

Well when we arranged the early delivery/setup, I told her that I was leaving immediately aftwards on a 8hr drive to the mountains and getting in early was NO PROBLEM.

I have already reserved a cabin for 3days arriving Sat. evening...I emailed the client last night that 3:30 in the afternoon was a problem. I will be following up with a phone call today..

But, what would you do or say to her?

11 replies
BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:54am
post #2 of 12

Maybe you should call the venue directly. I find that is the best way to get accurate information. Brides get too much on their plate and mess up times. If it happens to be the case then you can explain your situation to the venue. Hope it works out.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:02am
post #3 of 12

Kindly remind the bride of the agreed timeframe and the reasoning for that. I would also contact the venue, explain the situation. It's possible the time change is due to the venue hosting another event of some kind. I would also make sure someone signs for the cake. There's a big gap of time inbetween delivery and the event. I would be nervous that something could happen inbetween time, especially if the event has not already been set up for.

ranbel Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:18am
post #4 of 12

The actual wedding is at 4pm and the reception to follow at the venue. The mother is who I am dealing with, she is an ex-coworker. I asked her how early I could get in to set up that we were trying to get away for a few days since my son was ou of school on mon & tues. So, I planned my trip around the time she said I could get in to set up the cake.

I told her I would like to get in around 10am and she said that would be fine.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:39am
post #5 of 12

I would tell her the agreed upon time was 10 AM and I can't deliver it any later than that due to a scheduling conflict. It should not matter what the conflict is if she has already agreed to your time. If she can't get you in there early she may have to pick up the cake and set it up herself. That should scare the pants off her!!

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 12

I agree, tell her it needs to be the time originally agreed on or she will need to pick up the cake from you directly and handle things herself. I think sometimes we feel guilty about taking time for ourselves, but what if you had another wedding cake to deliver at 3:00?...She would have to get the cake earlier and would have no other choice...stick to your guns.

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 12

Maybe she thinks the cake will be fresher if the delivery time is closer to the wedding time? I'd bet most people don't realize that cakes are done so far ahead of time.

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 12

please tell us that your original delivery time is IN WRITING on the contract!!!!!!!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 12

I'd let her know that it's either 10 am--or the night before at the venue, her house, wherever, but that you're not going to be anywhere near the venue at 3:30pm because you'll be 5+ hours into an 8 hour drive to the mountains.

If she'd told you 3:30pm originally, I'm sure that you'd have made your family plans accordingly. She changed the rules, so she'll have to find the solution.

My guess is that the venue scheduled an earlier event and told her that deliveries had to be later. She may have to figure it out with them on how to handle it, but it shouldn't be your problem.

Hope it works out.
Rae

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 12

Is there a delivery time in your contract? If I'm not able to delivery on the agreed upon time, there ia an aditional charge for my time, paid in cash. No cash, no cake. I with Blakescakes, drop it off the night before.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 12

the reception starts at 4pm?? i'm guessing you'd be able to get in before 3:30pm if you contact the venue......nobody is expected to set up for an event in a half an hour! There is obviously more than a half an hour between events (even if they did schedule someone else's party earlier in the day), just for clean up and resetting tables, etc. There is no way that nobody can get in but 30 min. before guests arrive, I would question the venue.

Offer to the ex co worker, "I really need to get in at the agreed upon time as I have other engagements, I can call the venue and try and work out something with them if you'd like? I'm sure you have enough on your plate right now"

Then it seems like you're doing her a favor, but you also get to get the most updated and valid info. for yourself as well.

ranbel Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:14am
post #12 of 12

Just spk with the client...I am going to deliver the cake to her and she has someone that can set it up.

I sure hope all goes well...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%