How Much Should I Charge??? Please Help!!!

Decorating By cre8_acake Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 12:54am by cre8_acake

cre8_acake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cre8_acake Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:03am
post #1 of 15

I made a cake over the weekend for a friend and now I have others wanting the exact same cake. Of course I under charged my friend but what should I charge the average customer? The cake has two 10' on the bottom and two 7.5' on top with fondant and double layer buttercream underneath. What should I charge???
LL

14 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 15

When you say "2", do you mean 2-layers per tier or two 2-layer cakes per tier?

If 2-layers per tier, *my* price would be $239 + deposite/charge for the SPS system holding up the cake.

If two 2-layer cakes per tier, then double the above, so $478 + SPS deposite/charge.

Also, my top tier would be a 7" square, because I don't have a 7.5" pan. icon_smile.gif

Keep in mind that prices differ depending on where you live. Cakes in NY or LA, for example, tend to cost more than ones in other parts of the country.

cre8_acake Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks for ur input Ive been keeping track since I posted and I was desperately seeking for someone to answer. lol Oh and to clarify the cake has 2 layers of cake per tier and both tiers have a double layer buttercream.

Chatawa67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chatawa67 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 15

I am so shocked at the prices quoted to you. I see I obviously UNDER charge for cakes. I made a baby shower cake almost identical in shape with a duck on top and charged $50.00. I also make alot of cakes for family and friends and take orders from outside. WOW! I wouldn't dream of charging someone $300. for a cake like this. Am I CRAZY?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 15

I personally would do an 8" on top of a 12", just looks "evener", but I get that it's not supposed to look even, it's really supposed to look like two presents plunked on top of each other. I would also do it in fondant so I didn't have to worry about putting a border on. It would go for no less than $4.50/serving.

So yes, Chatawa, you're crazy. icon_biggrin.gif

And great bow OP!

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatawa67

I am so shocked at the prices quoted to you. I see I obviously UNDER charge for cakes. I made a baby shower cake almost identical in shape with a duck on top and charged $50.00. I also make alot of cakes for family and friends and take orders from outside. WOW! I wouldn't dream of charging someone $300. for a cake like this. Am I CRAZY?

So rough estimate, about 60 cents a serving. Walmart is more than that. icon_sad.gif

prterrell Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:

Well, you are vastly under-valuing not only yourself but everyone else who makes and sells cakes.

How long did it take you to make that cake from shopping for the ingredients to baking, to stacking, decorating, clean-up and delivery?

Time = money. So, basically, you ended up PAYING someone else to let you make them a cake.

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Well, you are vastly under-valuing not only yourself but everyone else who makes and sells cakes.

That too. icon_confused.gifThat is rarely ever discussed.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 15

Seventy-five 1x2x4 inch servings @ $3 a serving is $225 already--three bucks is an average price for buttercream iced cakes. You've added some nice decor--another cost involved and more time doing fondant.

I love that color blue--it's so perfect with that brown--such a pretty cake.

Yes, Chatawa, you are low balling yourself to burn out heaven or burn out hades whichever way you look at it.

Idea for both of you~~Go to the mirror and say "Yes that'll be two hundred and twenty-five dollars." Say it as much as you need to till you can do it easily. I'm not saying raise your prices I'm just saying see what it's like to do this job right.

icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:12pm
post #10 of 15

And when they say, TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS!! BUT IT'S JUST A CAKE!!! then you reply, "ohhhhhhhh! You wanted JUST a cake. walmart....aisle 8 ... knock yourself out. I recommend the Betty Crocker."

Then walk away.

prterrell Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:17pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

And when they say, TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS!! BUT IT'S JUST A CAKE!!! then you reply, "ohhhhhhhh! You wanted JUST a cake. walmart....aisle 8 ... knock yourself out. I recommend the Betty Crocker."

Then walk away.

LOL icon_lol.gif Love that Indydebi!

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:28pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

haha indydebi you never fail to make me laugh!

I would charge around 200 as well for this cake.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:10am
post #13 of 15
Quote:

I just have to ask what do ingredients and equipment cost you? $50 is what I would probably spend on ingredients & equipment alone to make the cake.

cre8_acake Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:47am
post #14 of 15

Thank you all so much!!! I really appreciate the feedback. You all have OFFICIALLY given me a confidence boost!

Indydebi your comment was the greatest EVER! LOL

Chatawa67- I know I've been under charging but I most certainly wouldnt have fixed my mouth to say $50 for a cake like this and you actually had more detail with the duck. I feel like the fondant work alone was worth far more than $50 considering all the work you put into making, coloring, rolling, etc. I guess thats the price we pay for being "newbies" as CC has us listed. LOL

Lurvely- I actually started out with 8" and 10" cakes but bcuz the 8" seemed to be too big when I positioned it I trimmed it to 7.5. Also I did use fondant but I was unhappy with the corners therefore I improvised with the border decor but the customer loved it anyway bcuz it incorporated more of the brown.

Thanks again CC Friends!

cre8_acake Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:54am
post #15 of 15

Oh and thanks for the compliment on the bow Lurvely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%