Anyone In Michigan Take On Apprentice?

Business By CinHan Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 1:25pm by Jaimelt76

CinHan Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:29am
post #1 of 4

Hi There-
I am new to CC and can't get enough. My daughter and I are new to cake decorating and having a ball. She is in college and currently weighing her options for the future. She absolutely loves the idea of having her own cake business and is considering taking business courses to prepare. I would love to see her work in a bakery for a bit (even just a couple weeks during Christmas break) to get a feel for it and see if she will love it as much as she thinks. It is so hard to know without giving it a try. I was just wondering if anyone ever takes on students like this. Any suggestions? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks!

3 replies
xstitcher Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:26am
post #2 of 4

Hi CinHan,

Bakeries take interns all the time. If your DD has a hard time getting her foot in the door she may want to try even interning as a volunteer.

Oh, and welcome to CC!

CinHan Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 4

Hi Xsticher-
Thanks for the reply. I think the only option would be to volunteer. There are only two small bakeries in our area and they make real simple cakes (pretty old fashioned), but I think the experience would be worth her time. It will still give her an idea if she likes it or not, right. She is considering an entrepeneurship (business) major. Hopefully this will help her as well. Thanks again!

Jaimelt76 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 4

I live in the U.P. and all I have are small bakeries that make very simple cakes here. None of these bakeries take volunteers or interns.
An option for your daughter would be to go to a grocery store or even wal-mart and see about being hired for the holidays in the bakery. This would give her some insight in what running a bakery would be like if she is not able to find a bakery that she could intern at. Tell your daughter good luck. I am a hobby decorator that would love to open a shop in the future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%