Pricing Gumpaste Flowers

Business By Sweet_Guys Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 4:29am by milkmaid42

Sweet_Guys Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:28am
post #1 of 5

After the ICES Convention this year, I got bit by the gumpaste flower bug. I enjoy coming home from work evenings making flowers while watching TV. It's a REAL stress release for me.

How much do you charge for gumpaste bouquets? Do you charge per flower? Per bunch? For the whole bouquet?

I know they can get expensive because of the time it takes to make them, but I was curious as to what others do?

Paul

4 replies
jlynnw Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 5

I can't charge but would be interested in knowing too! It won't be much longer until I can. I do love making the flowers as well. It is almost like playdough fun for adults.

leah_s Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:18am
post #3 of 5

I charge $40 for a topper, whatever the mix of flowers. Callas are $3.50, roses depending on size can be $2 - $6.

But . . . . I buy them. A calla costs me about 90 cents.

jlynnw Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:54am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I charge $40 for a topper, whatever the mix of flowers. Callas are $3.50, roses depending on size can be $2 - $6.

But . . . . I buy them. A calla costs me about 90 cents.

Last year at OSSAS, I won, goodie bag or what have you, sugar flowers. I loved them but they seem so thick and unreal looking. Are all the flowers you order like that? I just made roses, about 2 1/2 inches fairly full bloom (1, 3, 5, 7, 9) vein and all, what price range is that? I am still learning and don't want to undercharge.

milkmaid42 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:29am
post #5 of 5

I have seen gum paste flowers that look like they were made with modeling clay. I strive to make mine look thin and real which makes them more difficult to make. I feel that the time an effort warrants a higher charge and have been fortunate to have customers who appreciate the effort. The anniversary topper (in my photos) was made on a slightly domed gum paste base so the customer could remove and save it. (Painting the roses silver would have been much easier if I had an airbrush, and the teeny little baby's breath had a lot of detail.) She was happy to pay the $60 I charged her for the topper/keepsake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%