50/50 Gumpaste/fondant Won't Dry... Help!

Decorating By sleeper713 Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 11:44am by Rylan

sleeper713 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 7

I used 50/50 gumpaste and fondant to make some palm tree leaves two days ago, and they're no drier than they were when I made them. I need them for the day after tomorrow, and I don't think I'll have time to re-do them... any ideas? icon_cry.gif Thanks in advance!

6 replies
diane706 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:05am
post #2 of 7

Just out of curiosity what kind of gp did you use?

sleeper713 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:09am
post #3 of 7

I used Wilton premade gumpaste and Fondarific fondant. I've used the Wilton gumpaste before and it dried wonderfully... am now regretting using gp/fondant mixture, maybe shoulda used just gp by itself. Any ideas on getting in to dry in the next 24 hours? I'm in NW Georgia, and it has been raining for a couple of weeks here so it is terribly humid.

Peridot Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:09am
post #4 of 7

I have never had any trouble with my Wilton 50/50 gum paste/fondant mixture. But then I don't live in GA.

A friend of mine hung some of her gum paste flowers from the inside of her lamps and the heat from the bulb helps dry them real fast - it works!!! Also blowing a small fan on the pieces helps or possibly even a heat lamp of some kind.

Good luck with your trees and I hope you get those pieces to dry.

diane706 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:23am
post #5 of 7

The Fondarific is more than likely the culprit. As much as I LOVE it and use it exclusively for covering cakes, I never sculpt with it or mold flowers or figures (even mixed with gp) because it's pretty oily. Have you ever softened it in the micro before using? Lots of oil in your hands? Yep, I bet that's it. But I would definitely try the fan like Peridot mentioned. Not really sure about the heat lamp though. Knowing what I do about Fondarific, I think this would multiply your problems. HTH. Good luck.

sleeper713 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:27am
post #6 of 7

diane706, I bet you're right. The last time I used a 50/50 mix, I used homemade MMF. I did micro the Fondarific slightly to soften it up, and it did seem oily. Arrrggghhh! I guess I've learned a lesson the hard way... doesn't help much for these palm trees though, does it? icon_smile.gif Oh well

Rylan Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:44am
post #7 of 7

It will definitely have to be the Fondarific.

Quote by @%username% on %date%