Buttercream Recipe

Baking By txcarebear Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 2:58am by dshlent

txcarebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txcarebear Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:54am
post #1 of 8

I am in desperate need of a good recipe for buttercream. I've tried the Swiss Meringue BC and although it taste amazing, I didn't find it it thick enough to serve as a dam when trying to fill my cakes. I ordered the sugared. DVD for buttercream but I do not have easy access to high ratio or the wedding bouquet flavoring, So I tried it with Crisco and my own flavoring and LOL not a pretty site, I dumped the whole thing. I need something that is easy, that I can thicken for the dam, and that will lay well under fondant also, Please anyone out there please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Txcarebear icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

7 replies
GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:20am
post #2 of 8

You can order hi-ratio shortening on line. It is really worth it. Otherwise use a shortening that isn't transfat free. I think Walmart has a Best Value or something like that. I like to use vanilla, almond and butter flavorings in mine. I also make Sugarshack's! It's great! Not overly sweet and smooth.

kikster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikster Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 8

Try Edna's buttercream recipe in designmeacake.com. This is the recipe I use most of the time, I switch to Indydebi's if heat is going to be an issue. On Edna's, you can use hi-ration, OR you can buy like generic wal-mart brand shortening.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 8

I've been happy with the buttercream recipe they teach in the Wilton classes - and I use Aldi's store brand white shortening. I too use a mix of almond, vanilla and butter extracts - I mix up a batch of 3 oz clear vanilla extract, 2 oz almond extract, and 2 oz clear butter flavor, then use 2 tsp for every 6 cup batch of icing (which is 2 pounds of powdered sugar). I use the Aldi's powdered sugar too.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 8

Oh, I also use butter flavor popcorn salt. It will have a hint of color in it but not much. So use your white food coloring if needing a white frosting.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 8

Try Indydebi's buttercream. It uses Dream Whip and is really smooth and easy to work with. It's all I use. You can add different flavorings if you wish.

Here's a link:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

txcarebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txcarebear Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you all so much!!!!!!!!!! I'm trying out ideals tonight!!!!!

dshlent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dshlent Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:58am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhawk83

I've been happy with the buttercream recipe they teach in the Wilton classes - and I use Aldi's store brand white shortening. I too use a mix of almond, vanilla and butter extracts - I mix up a batch of 3 oz clear vanilla extract, 2 oz almond extract, and 2 oz clear butter flavor, then use 2 tsp for every 6 cup batch of icing (which is 2 pounds of powdered sugar). I use the Aldi's powdered sugar too.

I also love Aldi's shortening but when I went there last week they have changed their shortening to Trans Fat Free!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%