Black Ri?

Baking By Skirt Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 8:51pm by vinman9

Skirt Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:29am
post #1 of 9

I want to make Halloween cookies but am unsure about coloring RI black. Is it like regular icing where you need to just add alot of color? Is there a hidden trick? Can too much color ruin the RI?
Also, can you put other colors on top of it? i.e., eyes on a black cat.
I haven't made many cookies so be gentle! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
bbmom Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:44am
post #2 of 9

If you use americolor you add alot but not as much as wilton. Start with any dark color, not white, then add enough black to get black. I usually take all my leftover colors of icing and mix them together, then add black. You can also add cocoa powder to darken it if you want your black to taste like chocolate. Yes you can put other colors on top, just make sure the black is good and dry first.

luv2bake6 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:31am
post #3 of 9

I've never had success with Wilton. I use the americolor and add it to brown colored icing or one that i've added cocoa to. Good luck to you!

cookie_fun Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:27am
post #4 of 9

No matter what brand you use, I have found that letting the color "rest" before applying to the cookies helps the color deepen a little.

Good luck!

Skirt Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:45am
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the tips and advice!

vinman9 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 9

Another question about black - I've seen some really cool spiderweb cookies where folks have used a white (or other colored) base with black lines; it looks like they were done at then same time and then a toothpick was dragged through for the web look. How can that be done without the black bleeding into the white?? What is the secret? Thanks!

TracyLH Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 9

Two things icon_biggrin.gif :

To get a deep black, I add Hershey's Special Dark to my RI (a trick SweetDreamsAT told me) and then I add my Americolor Super Black. Don't go as deep as you think you might need to as you need to let it sit overnight and then the color will deepen. This way you do not use as much black as you might otherwise.

For the second, the trick to not having your black bleed into your white it is have them both the same consistency and overall with both, have them not too runny. Also, using the technique explained above to get a deep black helps greatly.

Hope this helps!

JenWhitlock Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 9

just to expand on what Tracy said.
the trick to not having the colors bleed (black, blue, green, red, whatever)
is letting the color sit, preferably overnight (and not using too much color).
if you use it fresh it will bleed - not right away - like the next day or something - just to annoy the stink out of you! icon_mad.gificon_rolleyes.gif
(then again, if you use really 'old' icing you are more likely to get the dreaded popped holes...)

vinman9 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks Tracy and Jen! I really appreciate the advice, and judging from your beautiful cookies, you both know what you're talking about! thumbs_up.gif

I figured that the secret was to take pictures as soon as they were decorated, before the "inevitable!" icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%