Cake Storage

Decorating By justbyangela Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 12:32am by justbyangela

justbyangela Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:07am
post #1 of 3

First of all, thanks to all of you who have helped me. This is my very first cake and I have learned so much already! I have just one more question though before I begin. The party is next Saturday. I want to do the cake in steps so I don't have to do it all at once. I am going to bake the cakes tonight (each layer) and freeze them. Is this okay to do? Also, how do I freeze them? Is it okay to wrap them in aluminum foil, or plastic wrap?

Also, I want to make the butter cream myself and I plan on doing that sometime next week. Am I able to refrigerate it when I'm done, and if so for how long?

2 replies
prterrell Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:28am
post #2 of 3

Yes, it is perfectly fine to freeze cakes. In fact, many bakers bake ahead so that they can freeze the cakes. Cool the cakes completely to room temperature. Wrap each layer in plastic wrap and then in foil. When you remove them to thaw, let them thaw completely before removing the foil and plastic wrap.

Buttercreams stay good for a very long time at room temp, even longer in the fridge or freezer. If you do decide to refrigerate, make sure you bring the buttercream back to room temp before rewhipping (it will need to be rewhipped before you use it). Make sure it is in a tightly sealed container so it doesn't pick up any funk from the fridge.

justbyangela Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:32am
post #3 of 3

Thank You!!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%