Tips Please...how Do You Make Mini Cakes And/or Cakeballs???

Decorating By sugarmommy83 Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 12:02pm by cakesrock

sugarmommy83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmommy83 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 11

Hello all, i really love the look of mini cakes and cake balls but being so new at the whole cake thing i have no idea how to make them. They look so beautiful and i'm sure they would be fun to do but i need some tips please...i'm hoping to make some for the Christmas holidays. What do i bake them in? Do you make them in square cupcake pans, or regular cupcake pans or am i totally not on the right track? What is the "mini cake ball method"? Is ther such a thing as a mini cake ball pan? I have never seen one! And are they hard to decorate because they are so small? Any tips or advice would be so greatly appreciated! I know i must sound crazy but i'm just really excited to try! icon_redface.gif
Thank you in advance........i hope somebody responds! icon_lol.gif

10 replies
icalise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icalise Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 11

I don't know much more than you but they did show them in amazing wedding cakes. Maybe you can look for a replay of that show. Sorry, i can't help.

Ines

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 11

hi there my fellow torontonian!! lol, i make my cake balls out of cake scraps or ill just bake a sheet and while its still warm, i use a fork to break it all up into crumbs, then if i have done this with chocolate cake i add peanut butter mix it all up, and form round balls and dip them in cocolate, ive also used warm milk or even alcohol to match what ever flavor ive made and them just dipped them in chocolate, i hope this helps you!!

baby

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 11

Ok, for cakeballs go to Bakerella she has a whole blog with recipes, tutorial and decorating ideas for cake balls so cute. You can get recipes and recipe reviews for the cake balls on allrecipes (.com) YOu can also do a search here on cc through the gallery for all kinds of great pictures. I'm assuming you are talking about cake balls and not the mini ball cake pan which makes a cake shaped like a sports ball, soccer ball etc. You just use cake scraps or bake a cake on purpose for cake balls. Then you crumble it up and mix it with the frosting or filling of your choice.

cagirlygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cagirlygirl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 11

This lady is the queen of cake balls:

http://www.bakerella.com

She's got great tutorials and loads of pics on her site. I get rave reviews every time I take them anywhere. The possibilities are endless!

Have fun!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 11

Cake balls are the neatest thing! I don't think there is a specific pan for the balls but for shapes you can use many molds. The sky's the limit on flavors.

You don't have to make cake just for this project, unless you want to of course. I save the scraps from my cakes and turn them into cake balls.

We can never keep enough no matter what.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:05am
post #7 of 11

If you mean mini cakes, like petit fours or slightly bigger than that, they're usually baked as a bigger cake and then cut out, either by measuring with a ruler or using tall cookie cutters. They're a lot of work, unless you're making them just for the joy of making them (if you're making them for someone, it always feels like you didn't charge enough, about halfway through).

If you were talking about the cakes that look like a Christmas ornament, a lot of those were done with the mini ball pan, which is hard to find at a craft store, but you can order one online. It should be a fairly easy shape to cover with fondant.

sugarmommy83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmommy83 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:10am
post #8 of 11

THANK YOU ALL sooooo much for your helpful tips. i will definately give them a try before Christmas! i had no clue that they are made from crumbled up cake!!! Who knew? Oh and
"BIG-UPS" to 'babykonst' from the "T. Dot!!!!!" Where are you from? it is so cool to meet a fellow torontonian here! (p.s. i don't really speak that way all the time! lol!) Oh, and Texas-rose...do you think the mini cakes would work with the square cupcake pan? I just bought a couple but i haven't tried them yet. Thanks again for your help ladies.....

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:57am
post #9 of 11

I use candy molds for my cake balls. Usually a bon-bon shaped one. I am anal and like them all the same size, so I figure out how much will fill one opening (usually 8g, depending on the cakeball mix) and weight out little dollops of the mix, and then press them into the molds and then tap them out. I use a toothpick in the bottom and dip them into melted candy melts (with some crisco, like paramount crystals but cheaper).

HTH
~Chelle

Kavrena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavrena Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:26am
post #10 of 11

I'm a newbie to caking and had no idea they were cake crumbs. Now my mind is going...endless possibilities.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:02pm
post #11 of 11

Hello fellow Canadians ( from Cowtown)! I assume you all know what Timbits are?! (see my photos) Well, I also just used frozen cake crumbs, then rolled them into balls, covered with an icing sugar mixture you'd use on donuts, then sprinkled some with coconut and icing sugar. I find it easier to work with the frozen cake bits.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%