Not Doing Wedding Cakes Anymore......

Business By littlecake Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 3:26pm by AmandaKate

littlecake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 23

too much stress.....and after that last cake fiasco i decided i want a more peaceful life...I LIKEY SHEET CAKEYS ...hardly any stress.

ANYHOW....i've been turning away lots of peeps, is there anyone around here that would like me to refer them to you?

i'm in muskogee ok.

if you don't have a legal kitchen, maybe we could work something out with my shop....i have plenty of room.

i'm getting burnt out, maybe i could help someone else make thier cake dreams come true too.

i hope i'm not breaking any rules putting this on here. icon_razz.gif

22 replies
supakiki Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 23

My sis in law is in Oklahoma City, not sure if that's too far or not...

lulus Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:50am
post #3 of 23

I'll gladly take them!

IsaSW Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 23

Oh no!!!!! icon_surprised.gif
I can't believe you. I am the other way around, I only want to make wedding cakes, I pray that I don't get birthday cake requests.
Too bad I live too far away from you. icon_sad.gif

HarleyDee Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 4:48am
post #5 of 23

I'm the opposite of you too, I don't do sheet cakes icon_smile.gif But that just shows you, to each their own. You do beautiful cakes though. Maybe you just need a break from brides for a while icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 5:32am
post #6 of 23

cripes, I know wedding cakes are where the money is but holy cow, the stress is a killer. I dream of a day I can support myself on cookies and truffles with the occassional wedding cake thrown in... *sigh* Yeah, total dream world!

littlecake Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:02pm
post #7 of 23

i can't deliver because i'm a 1 man show, i'll typically have like 20 party cake orders every saturday.

and people are way to rough to deliver thier own cakes, one blonde cutie put a triple tier stacked FILLED cake ob the carseat...after i put it in the back of the van....she thought it should go on the seat.....

a few months later an older gat picked up another stacked cake...was clearly having trouble with the weight of it...kinda shivering...i told her husband "that cake is heavier than it looks"...he just looked at me like i was speaking chinese....she told me later the cake "collapsed", (there were supports)...was not the least bit mad, and ordered again. (not stacked) i just figger it got to heavy for her and she dropped it.

then the last sweet teens i have had to deal with.

lulus...where are you?

lulus Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:00pm
post #8 of 23

I'm in Tulsa at 51st and Sheridan, in The Farm shopping center.

jlynnw Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 23

littlecakes, I wish I were closer! I would jump at an opportunity like that! My kitchen don't look like it is ever going to get legal!

cownsj Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:09pm
post #10 of 23

I'm so sorry you are so stressed with the cakes, but I do understand it. Maybe it might do you good to take in a partner instead of just letting someone work from your place. Even if you only partner for particular cakes.

littlecake Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 23
Originally Posted by lulus

I'm in Tulsa at 51st and Sheridan, in The Farm shopping center.

i've sent peeps to you already...........

i didn't know that was you....didn't they do a big write up about you a few years ago in the tulsa world/

1234me Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:19pm
post #12 of 23

I am with you on this. Wedding cakes are not worth the stress to me. I do about 20 party cakes per weekend - and I wouldn't have it any other way! I don't do sheet cakes though icon_smile.gif They still drive me crazy icon_smile.gif

jlynnw Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:56pm
post #13 of 23

I don't know about the wedding over any other celebration cake. Some birthday cakes are harder to deal with than a fussy bride. I would miss doing wedding cakes.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:25pm
post #14 of 23
Originally Posted by jlynnw

I don't know about the wedding over any other celebration cake. Some birthday cakes are harder to deal with than a fussy bride. I would miss doing wedding cakes.

Ain't that the truth! My average wedding cake takes a dozen or so emails back and forth. I have a birthday cake due on Thursday that took 60+ emails to sort out - I kid you not - icon_rolleyes.gif !

KHalstead Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:46pm
post #15 of 23

littlecake........are you accepting all of those party cake orders AND wedding cake orders???

When I take a wedding cake order for a Saturday, I book out Thursday, Friday, and Saturday for that ONE wedding! I don't take any other orders (since the wedding cake is usually enough profit that I won't miss the others anyhow).......and then I have 3 days to focus on only ONE person's cake. This has saved me SOOOO much stress!! I used to get really stressed doing the wedding cakes, but I have so many party cake orders (not 20/week, but sometimes not much less) and now when I have a wedding cake, say a 4 tiered feels like a breeze only having 4 cakes to decorate on a Friday night instead of 15+..........maybe you should free up your schedule around wedding cakes instead of giving them up all together. You're very talented, I'd hate to see brides miss out on having you do their cake!

Also, I don't let people pick up tiered cakes. If they want to avoid the "set up" charge of $25.00 for me to stack and put on borders on site, then they have the choice to allow me to fully assemble and deliver that way and they sign a waiver knowing that there could potentially be damage to the cake if they opt for this. Free deliver in my city only (it's about 6 miles square) far only 1 person has opted to have a drop and run cake and it arrived with no problems (because I was the one driving it to the destination).......people don't even know how to transport sheetcakes in this world anymore..........who looks at a backseat and says "yeah, that looks perfectly flat and level" ???????????????????????????

littlecake Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:16pm
post #16 of 23

can't devote days and days to one wedding cake.....i just can't get those kind of prices here.

i have a storefront to pay for, and i have to make a living at this, i'm divorced, this is my sole income.

i've done as many as 3 wedding cakes with all my party cake orders on a saturday.

after 8 years of it, i'm burnt out.

i tried the route of only wedding cakes, i can do 6 on a weekend...still too much stress.

people with storefronts to pay for, really have a lot more money they must earn, just to break even....i guess i could do 1 wedding cake, it would have to cost! i couldn't get those kinda prices here.

i been trying to get my own place set up so i could get the rent payment gone....that would make things easier....been hitting a lot more bumps in the road than i was expecting....

since i'm a 1 man show, i'm sooo busy friday and saturday making cakes....theres no way i can deliver....i've thought about chucking the whole thing and just going to work for someone else, and letting them have all the worries of running a biz.

geeze, i think i heard violin music playing for me...

costumeczar Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:53pm
post #17 of 23
Originally Posted by littlecake

since i'm a 1 man show, i'm sooo busy friday and saturday making cakes....theres no way i can deliver....i've thought about chucking the whole thing and just going to work for someone else, and letting them have all the worries of running a biz.

geeze, i think i heard violin music playing for me...

Not at all! There's something nice about a jobs where you go there, do the work, then go home and don't have to think about it. When you own your own business it's hard to find free time, because there's always something that needs to be done. No violins playing here!

cfao Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:23pm
post #18 of 23

KHalstead, I laughed when I read your note about putting a sheet cake on the back seat. I had a couple picked up a sheet cake for their son's birthday on Saturday. While he paid, he said "boy, I hope this one makes it", she proceeded to elbow him to shut up. I just HAD to ask what happened to one of their other cakes (they order quite a bit from me). He said he had taken the cake out of my bakery and placed it in the back of his pick up - yes, the open bed of the truck. He said he then went to the package store to pick up a keg of beer for the party and placed that in the back of the truck also, unsecured. He went around a corner, down hill and the keg rolled the length of the truck and rolled over the cake. The keg won! Their submarine cake was very flat after that lol.
So I walk them out to their truck and yes, they put the cake on the back seat so it will be safe. When they did that I said the seat isn't very flat, they said it would be ok, the keg they were going to get after leaving my place couldn't get it.

KHalstead Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:38pm
post #19 of 23

littlecake, maybe you could put out an advertisement for an apprenticeship position at your place?? Maybe there is a responsible teen or cullinary student that would like to get their feet wet?? You could offer to pay them something, or nothing! I know a lot of people that have offered to apprentice for free with me if I needed the extra help. I work out of my home, so I don't really feel it's necessary......but hey, if you had someone to man the shop while you make deliveries...or if you trust them to make the deliveries for you. Someone to bake/cleanup, mix icing colors, keep track of stock, buy supplies.......there's a whole plethra of things that need to be done besides actually decorating the cakes. Maybe if some of that load was alleviated, you wouldn't be so burned out?

jlynnw Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:27pm
post #20 of 23

I am thinking about applying for the position of your assistant. I am not sure how far the commute would be, but it sounds like what I want. I just want to work and do cakes. My kitchen at a church that is a work in progress is taking forever. Beings that the church is needing to be fixed up, the church is picking the people to do the work. The plumber just took 2 months to hook up a hand sink to the old water heater. It does not even connect to the water source anymore! icon_mad.gif Anyway, I have expericence in delivery and set up, basic cake skills, check my photos, and a strong desire to succeed as a decorator. Now, I hear you violins playing for me. icon_redface.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:16pm
post #21 of 23

Littlecakes, i know how you feel, I like doing Bday cakes and anniversary cakes, I dont like wedding cakes , Cause the last one i did the bride didnt have a topper and the cake she wanted was twice as big as her picture , and it looked hideous, I didnt even post a pic of it , Every time i look at it i get mad, Cause it looked unfinished, and the ladys at the church keeped staring at it cause it was ugly, I know it probably costed me customers, but oh well, icon_redface.gif

TressieJo Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:45pm
post #22 of 23

I live in Oklahoma in the Northeast corner. Too far away and not enough experience icon_smile.gif However, If I was any closer, I would come and just volunteer to help on any of the simple stuff you needed. I would have loved the experience and to help out. *sigh* I am stuck in the sticks.

AmandaKate Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:26pm
post #23 of 23

I definitely think you should look into maybe taking on one or more assistants or interns.....

....Is there a college near you???? If so they may have some programs dealing with HRT (hotel restaurant and tourism managment), cullinary arts, or even business!! These students are ALWAYS looking for internships, volunteer experience etc in places that have anything to do with their major....

It gives them hands on experience, and looks great on their resume/transcript......most of the time the colleges even offer them credits for their internships/fieldwork....

This might really help you out......especially if you don't have to pay them! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%