If You Use Shortening And Flour To Coat Your Pan...

Decorating By kikster Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 3:27am by loulou2

kikster Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 10

Do you also use parchment paper. I have always used just shortening and flour to get my cakes not to stick, and it works great. BUT, I have a 14 inch carrot cake I have to bake, and I am worried about the carrots sticking. If you use parchment paper, do you just lay it over the floured pan? Or do I need to grease and flour the paper as well.

ALSO, for a 14 inch cake, would it be best to use a flower nail in the middle?

9 replies
Rendee Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 10

Using parchment is just a safe guarantee! if you are worried about it sticking go ahead and use parchment. Go ahead and grease and flour your pan, put in the parchment and then just grease the parchment. As far as the flower nail question, I have never used one before so I will have to give you a bump on that one. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbybert Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 10

I would use the flower nail for sure. I always just use shortening and flour, never used parchment paper. I have made 12x18 sheet carrot cake with no problems of sticking. Just make sure you have very good coverage on the bottom of the pan!
HTH

sugarandslice Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 10

I leave no room for error. I use home-made cake release on my pan, then line the whole thing with paper, then cover that with cake release too. I can't stand the thought of having to re-make a cake because it stuck and broke.
As for the flower nail, I've never used one but will be giving it a go when I next have to make a larger cake.

sadsmile Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 10

When I collar a cake I only grease the sides and let the parchment stick to it. I don't think you need flour when using parchment and you can use less grease then you would with flour.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:55am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikster

Do you also use parchment paper. I have always used just shortening and flour to get my cakes not to stick, and it works great. BUT, I have a 14 inch carrot cake I have to bake, and I am worried about the carrots sticking. If you use parchment paper, do you just lay it over the floured pan? Or do I need to grease and flour the paper as well.

ALSO, for a 14 inch cake, would it be best to use a flower nail in the middle?

Back when I always greased the pan, lined with parchment, greased the parchment then floured the pan....no problems.....BUT....now I use Pam for Baking [contains flour] along with a parchment or waxed paper liner and cakes always come out perfect.

MissyTex Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:36am
post #7 of 10

When in doubt, I use parchment. I coat the pan wtih Baker's Joy and line the bottom with parchment. I don't do anything to the parchment, it's non-stick already, that's its job. I've never had a problem, it peels right off.

Rylan Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:38am
post #8 of 10

Mix equal amounts of flour, shortening and oil. Mix it until it forms to a paste. You can then brush your pans with it.

If you want to make sure you are safe, go with parchment paper.

leah_s Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:16am
post #9 of 10

I use home made pan grease on the sides, waxed paper on the bottom and in 40 years of baking have never use a flower nail or heating core.

loulou2 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:27am
post #10 of 10

I use the homemade "goose grease" of equal parts flour, shortening & oil. No parchment needed & a flower nail to heat the center, you can use the heating core if you have it. Anything metal will work to conduct the heat. Good luck, carrot cake is my favorite icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%