I Think I May Have My First Paid Wedding Cake Order

Decorating By shannonlovebug Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 10:49pm by __Jamie__

shannonlovebug Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 6

and would love some tips for the consultation. I don't have a real business, this was a referral from a friend. How should I ask for payment? Up front? Upon delivery? I don't want to make the cake and then have her say "oh I'll have to mail you the check" and then never get paid! Should I make a contract? This is a really casual, last minute thing. Anything else I should know?

5 replies
Cathy26 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 6

you really want to get paid before the wedding. Brides i think would have a habit of disappearing on honeymoon and then forgetting to pay.

get a deposit of about 20% upfront and then payment a couple of days before the wedding.

for the consultation make a list of everything you need to ask - flavours, sizes, shape, figures, flowers, decorations, etc number of people, etc and it helps to have the internet handy to look up ideas. also dont forget to factor in delivery and set up costs and also find out what stands the hotel provides.

Good luck!!!!

StaceyCakes75 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 6

You Definitely need to have something in writing even if its just "Casual" as you said. Make then sign it.

I would never do a wedding cake unless it was fully paid up a week in advance to the wedding.

I would make them pay 50% at the consultation and 50% no later than 1 week before its due. If you are not paid up then don't bake!

There are SEVERAL horror stories on here about people not getting paid and stopped payments on checks. Make sure you get the money first!

indydebi Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 6

signed contract.
50% retainer, non refundable.
Balance due 2 weeks prior, non-refundable.

Most important, find out if the venue permits food from unlicensed folks to be brought in. I remember one story on here where a bride had no cake because the baker was unlicensed and was refused admittance to the facility.

And no matter how "casual" it is, if the bride decides there's something about the cake she doesn't like, then she's not going to be "casual" about wanting a big refund.

shannonlovebug Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 6

great advice, thank you!

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

signed contract.
50% retainer, non refundable.
Balance due 2 weeks prior, non-refundable.

Most important, find out if the venue permits food from unlicensed folks to be brought in. I remember one story on here where a bride had no cake because the baker was unlicensed and was refused admittance to the facility.

And no matter how "casual" it is, if the bride decides there's something about the cake she doesn't like, then she's not going to be "casual" about wanting a big refund.

Ditto ditto ditto with big fat sprinkles on top. Nothing "casual" about a bride and her money. Especially ones who spend too much money on the honeymoon. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%