Recipe For Peanut Allergy

Baking By ThisNameInUse Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 1:34am by JodieF

ThisNameInUse Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 7

I need a good cake recipe for someone with a peanut allergy. Can you hook a girl up, please? icon_smile.gif

6 replies
JodieF Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 7

Okay...not trying to sound like a smart aleck, but you could use just about anything that doesn't include peanuts or peanut butter unless the allergy is a severe one. If you use the WASC recipe from here, just be sure to check the ingredients on the cake mix. They'll list any possible allergens. Be sure all your utensils are very clean. I wouldn't use almond, I'd use vanilla. I know that peanut and tree nut allergies aren't the same, however, there are some allergists that say if you have one you should generally avoid the other. I am allergic to tree nuts. I avoid peanuts by choice on his advice. Fortunately, most food allergies are well controlled by simply not eating whatever the allergen's that simple.

Now, if it's a severe allergy, you couldn't have anything in your house that involves peanuts in any form, no matter how much you clean.

I would suggest you get clarification from whoever the cake is for. I strongly suspect their allergy isn't severe. It's unlikely they'd eat anything they didn't make themselves.

ThisNameInUse Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:04am
post #3 of 7

That is good advice, thank you! I'm not sure how severe the allergy is...this cake is for a kid's birthday party of a friend, and I don't know them very well or the parents of the child with the allergy,....I just know I want it to be safe and not screw it up.
I wasn't sure if there are certain ingredients I should specifically not use that might not be labeled...

ThisNameInUse Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:11am
post #4 of 7

What I mean is, can I use regular flour, can I still use MMF?....I just don't know! LOL

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:12am
post #5 of 7

I do not do cakes for people who might die from eating them. I cannot ever be sure I've been careful enough. I mean just my luck I'd be out of oil & grab the peanut oil--I mean why would anyone risk their kid's life like that?

I'm not faulting you by any means -- I'm just saying what I do -- I guess I'm more saying what I don't do.

And also, not all of them but there's a certain kind of pushy-ness associated with parents of kids with food allergies. They want their kids to be treated just the same and they decide some cake decorator is gonna make the globe turn in reverse for a change.

(I) Just say no.

JodieF Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:14am
post #6 of 7

All major companies list allergens after the ingredients. It may even just say "made in a plant that processes *****". If someone is very sensitive that would void that product from use.
If the parents of the allergic child know the allergy is severe though, I can't possibly imagine they A) would have ordered from you in the first place or B) would not have specifically said so. If this child is going to be a guest at the party of the person who is ordering the cake, and the parent ordering is just trying to cover their bases, I wouldn't assume anything. They need to check with the parents of the allergic child. I might even guess that child is going to bring their own treat. Most parents of an allergic child wouldn't take the risk.

JodieF Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:34am
post #7 of 7

Memphis....very few people with food allergies are going to die from eating something. That's extremely rare. Believe me, if the child had a allergy that severe the parent is going to say something. That child with the severe allergy probably couldn't even come to the party if there was peanut butter in the house. I can promise you a child with a severe allergy even knows to speak up about it.

I'm not saying don't be careful. I'm just saying the true responsibility lies with the parents of the child.

As an adult with food allergies, it's MY responsibility as to what I put in my mouth. If I don't ask, it's no ones fault but mine. If I see a food I'm not sure of, I just don't eat it.

I've seen people ask on here about using imitation almond extract for folks with people with a nut allergy. I promise you, you may swear on a stack of bibles it's imitation, but if I smell almond, I'm not eating it. If my child had any kind of food allergy, I'm gonna tell you all about it. If it's minor, and they can't have peanuts or peanut butter then I'm going to say that's all that can't be used. If it's a severe allergy, then nobody is baking for that child but me.

All I'm saying is that ThisNameInUse needs more information.

Quote by @%username% on %date%