Freezing/thawing Cookies

Baking By mommydearest1965 Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 11:22pm by JGMB

mommydearest1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommydearest1965 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 2

I need to make 150 cookies for neice's wedding in Florida - I live in Colorado. Do frozen cookies taste as fresh as non-frozen and how long will they stay fresh after thawed and then decorated? TIA

1 reply
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 2

A friend just sent me this e-mail . . . I hope it helps at least a little:

Answers:

...Just make sure they are wrapped air-tight. It takes a minimum of about 3 months for frozen fat of any kind including butter to begin to change chemically and get freezer burn.

Freezing Cookies:
For a longer storage you should freeze baked cookies in airtight freezer containers, freezer bags, or aluminum foil. NOTE: Dont use cardboard containers because they pick up freezer odors. They can be frozen up to twelve months.
First put a piece of waxed paper or foil in the bottom of the container. Then, place the cookies so they arent touching and separate the layers with waxed paper or foil to protect. Seal tightly.

Before serving the cookies make sure you thaw them in their original freezer wrappings (so that condensation forms on the wrapping, not on the cookie). Crisp cookies may soften when thawed after freezing; to re-crisp, put them in a 300°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes.

Tips & Warnings

You can freeze rolled and drop cookies for up to 3 months
You can freeze soft, jam-filled cookies for up to 1 month
If you mix your crisp cookies with your chewy cookies the crispy ones will absorb moisture from the chewy ones and lose their crunch
If you remove cookies from the original container before thawing condensation will form on the cookies. Leave them in the container so the condensation stays on the wrapping.

The cookie doughs that freeze best are:
shortbreads
chocolate chip
peanut butter
refrigerator
sugar
brownies

Freezing Baked Cookies
Almost any baked cookie freezes well. Let cookies completely cool before freezing. Wrap cookies individually in plastic wrap then store them in a ziploc freezer bag or storage tin (coffee cans or holiday tins work great). You can also just layer the cookies between layers of waxed paper in the container, but the individually wrapped ones will store longer.
Freeze frosted cookies uncovered first until they are firm. Then pack them in airtight container lined with plastic wrap or foil. Make sure to label the container with the date and type of cookies. Unfrosted cookies can be frozen up to 6-12 months (frosted, about 3 months). Frozen cookies thaw in about 10 minutes at room temperature (if you can wait that long). If cookies should be crisp when thawed, remove them from the container before thawing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%