Fondant Over Store Bought Frosting

Decorating By cuteums Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 5:27am by SugarFrosted

cuteums Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 4

Store bought frosting *gasp* I know. But I was wondering because I'm feeling a bit lazy this week (really not looking forward to powdered sugar all over my kitchen.) I wanted to know if I could use the betty crocker/duncan hines chocolate frosting under fondant? It's a crowd favorite so I figured why not. Will I have trouble with the fondant over it?

Thanks.

3 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 4

You can, i use it all the time as the kids really love it!!! The only thing is, its quite tricky to work with, sticky almost ( the betty crocker that is ) i always add a little bit of boiling water which thins it out nicely but not too much, just so its easier to spread. And then once i frost my cake/cupcakes, i leave it for a few hours to firm up, then put the fondant on icon_smile.gif Ive never had a problem doing this icon_smile.gif

cuteums Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:54am
post #3 of 4

thanks. I think I am definitely going to use it this time.

SugarFrosted Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:27am
post #4 of 4

If you like the ease of store-bought frosting, have you tried the buttercream from Sam's? It works very well and would be a lot cheaper (about $32 for 28 lbs) in the long run than those small containers of Betty Crocker or whatever, and a lot more useful. Just a thought icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%