Topsy-Turvy Filling Issues

Decorating By eszilla Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 2:05pm by eszilla

eszilla Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all. I'm hoping some of you topsy-turvy experts can help me since I haven't been able to find any information on this issue specifically.

I've made two topsy-turvy cakes to date using various methods. Apart from over-carving the angles slightly (I'm getting better), my biggest issue has been filling-related. I've used pre-made raspberry and strawberry filling I bought at my local cake supply shop (once for each cake)...and my top filled layer sometimes slides completely off the cake while chilling!! The second time around, I tried using less filling. I am using a buttercream dam around the edge...but the same thing happened! Top filled layer slipped completely off the rest of the cake. Cake mess!

Is the problem related to fruit filling? Should I just use buttercream or something else? How do you do a topsy-turvy cake successfully?? I'm ready to chalk them up as evil icon_evil.gif and refuse to do any more...but they are so cool, and so many people seem to do them successfully, there must be some trick I'm not privy to just yet.

I'd love any advice you have to offer, since I have another topsy-turvy order coming up in November for a friend.

Thanks, fellow cakesmiths! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 8

Hmmm, maybe it's the fillings you use or your putting too much. I use about 1/2" of fillings and I've used different kins of fillings from fruit curds to ganache.

Addie2580 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:38am
post #3 of 8

I was just wondering icon_rolleyes.gif , are you using dowels on your cake??

poohsmomma Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 8

If you're using the cut-out method for TT, shouldn't your layers be level? Well, except for the top wedge that you cut in half and that's what sliding?

eszilla Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 8

Yes, I am using dowels--wouldn't attempt a tasty architectural feat without them.

And poohsmomma--the layers are level, but it's like the weight of the top wedge that gets repositioned pulls the entire top layer off, if that makes sense...

Maybe Elmer's glue? (KIDDING) icon_biggrin.gif

paolacaracas Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 8

I find that fillings do affect the stability of the cake.
Caramel-Dulce the leche fillings slide for sure, while butter creams works just fine. ganache varies in consistency so is hard to tell. But buttercream works best.

poohsmomma Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 8

yeah, what she^^^said.
You might just have to "stick" with buttercream...pardon my pun

eszilla Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 8

Love the pun!

Thanks for the advice, friends. I think I'll just try buttercream for this next one. I'm still working out the structural quirks of topsy-turvys, but I did order the famous $40 DVD so I can learn more about them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%