Kitchenaid?

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 3:52am by Polkadot79

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 24

Ok, so i just broke another electric hand mixer so im considering a Kitchen Aid. are these worth the money? are they really heavy duty for creaming large quantities of butter and eggs? my hand mixers just arent up to the job but i dont want to buy something that isnt worth it icon_sad.gif

thanks in advance xo

23 replies
creatingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creatingcakes Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 24

Love, love, love my Kitchen Aid, HIGHLY recommend it!

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 24

Wow, this one will have lots of opinions.
First, as far as my KA goes, it definitely has the watts and power to mix the heavy duty stuff such as fondant and large batches.
But, my pin holding the unit on keeps coming out and I have to constantly knock it back in place and my two little knobs on my speed and lock adjusters broke off, all within the first month, and it never stays locked in place.
I would have taken it back for a replacement, but DH threw the receipt away (unbelievable) so I wouldn't see how much it cost. But it is definitely a work horse. I'd buy another.

mother1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mother1954 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 24

I love my Kitchen Aid mixer and last a long time worth in money.

mother1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mother1954 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 24

I love my Kitchen Aid mixer and last a long time worth in money.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakin

Wow, this one will have lots of opinions.
First, as far as my KA goes, it definitely has the watts and power to mix the heavy duty stuff such as fondant and large batches.
But, my pin holding the unit on keeps coming out and I have to constantly knock it back in place and my two little knobs on my speed and lock adjusters broke off, all within the first month, and it never stays locked in place.
I would have taken it back for a replacement, but DH threw the receipt away (unbelievable) so I wouldn't see how much it cost. But it is definitely a work horse. I'd buy another.

I'm having the same problem with the pin in the middle. I've had it going on 8 years but it has been a problem since day one. It still keeps on ticking but I have to watch it. I have a small one 4.5 quart and I also have a 7 qt cuisinart. I use the KA more often than the cuisnart myself.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 24

I love my Kitchen Aide - 5 qt is the way to go. I still use my hand mixer occasionally, mostly when I've got something else going on in the Kitchen Aide.

FierceConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FierceConfections Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:06pm
post #8 of 24

Just don't get the "Classic". It's worth it to spend the extra money on the "Artisan" or any of the better models.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 24

I have broken my KA and many hand mixers BUT I still recommend KA.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:50pm
post #10 of 24

LOVE both of my KA mixers. I have a 4.5 quart Artisian (with a Hobart motor) and it's my work horse, I love it! My DH just bought me a 600 Series and I love it as well.

I would definitely recommend KA, use it the way it is intenteded, at the speeds intended and you shouldn't have any problem. I use both of mine for cake batter, cookie dough, BC and fondant and they work great.

I can't tell you how many hand mixers I've burned up (literally) before I ever got into caking.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 24

I love my KA. I had the 4.5, which was running fine, but I wanted the larger bowl and got the 6. (On sale of course).

I'd never make SMBC or the Whimsical Bakehouse House BC, or even Antonia74 frosting if I didn't have one. They need so much beating time - set them going and watch.

I still keep my hand mixer for re-beating small bowls of frosting or whipped cream...but the KA is king.

Slightly off-topic...but if you're putting a wish list together get the Beater Blade too. It's fabulous. I'm thinking of getting a second one for my busy days.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm
post #12 of 24

I have a ka and wouldn't change it for the world......except I should have gotten the professional or artisan instead of the classic.

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:54pm
post #13 of 24

I've abused the heck out of my KA for 11 years and it's till going strong. I wouldn't be able to make my own fondant without it.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:56pm
post #14 of 24

thanks everyone, you've made up my mind for me, will go for an artisan one probaly the 4.5 cheaper one but would love the larger one. i guess going through 2 hand mixers in a year isnt bad going but would be pretty bad if it happened halfway through a mix so will invest in a kitchen aid and kept a hand mixer for emergencies icon_smile.gif

more money icon_sad.gif

luminajd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luminajd Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:57pm
post #15 of 24

I just bought a 6 quart this week and have a tip. Visit the kitchenaid website frequently. The 6 quart are normally $399 but each day they will have a random colored 6 quart for $100 off. Watch the model you want and see if they do it for the one you want too!

TeriO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeriO Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:09pm
post #16 of 24

I love my KA also. I would recommend getting a couple of extra bowls for when you have a several different things going on at once. I would also recommend the beater blade that scrapes down the sides for you when it mixes.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:24pm
post #17 of 24

I'll be the first, and maybe the only one, to complain. I'd had my pro 600 for about 2 yrs. It had been making a high pitched noise while mixing for quite some time (6 mo or so) & then while making a batch of Sugarshack's bcream it quit mixing. I'd never used it in a way I shouldn't (never above stir for fondant or 2 for cookie dough, & 4 for buttercream). So, I called & incountered a rude little boy who had the attitude of "sucks to be you" but you can buy another. Hello!!!! I spent $400 plus s&h & it didn't even last 2 yrs. His supervisor said they'd send a prepaid label for shipping each direction if I wanted it looked at. Ok. That was over 1 month ago & no label. I've contacted them 4 times w/ a promise of a return call, to which I've never received. Needless to say I'm pissed! Unfortunately it'll still be cheaper for me to have it repaired (or so I was told---that is't probably a gear). If money wasn't an issue, or if repair is more than $200 I WILL purchase a different brand. When I spend $400 it shouldn't break so soon!!!!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:25pm
post #18 of 24

I have my KA for two years now, and it works great, the only problem is the same thing with the pin, I need to save for another one, I also have a classic and will buy a different model, the next time.

Hey Ry What did you do to that Machine?.

justcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justcake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:34pm
post #19 of 24

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my KA Mixers. I have two of the Professional 6 and an Artisan. Sometimes I have them all going at once! I would definitely spend the money and get a KA, well worth the price!

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:39pm
post #20 of 24

I went to the kitchenaid website. Bought a refurbished KA Professional Heavy Duty 5 gt. Bowl lift model. $159 free shipping. I LOVE it! I use it for everything and it is a nice heavy duty model that does not move or bounce around. Highly recommend it. My daughter has the artisan, and likes mine much better, for what that's worth.

But yea, my answer is "YES, it's worth the money"!
thumbs_up.gif

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:39pm
post #21 of 24

ok I dont have the professional (yet hehe) But I LOVE MY KA!!!!! i can be beating things and dfoing other things at the same time!!! I especially liek it for the dough hook, my sugar cookie dough is perfect all the time now!!!

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:45pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwebb68

LOVE both of my KA mixers. I have a 4.5 quart Artisian (with a Hobart motor) and it's my work horse, I love it! My DH just bought me a 600 Series and I love it as well.

I would definitely recommend KA, use it the way it is intenteded, at the speeds intended and you shouldn't have any problem. I use both of mine for cake batter, cookie dough, BC and fondant and they work great.

I can't tell you how many hand mixers I've burned up (literally) before I ever got into caking.

Just got the 600 series myself (for Christmas Present) so I am not using it yet icon_sad.gif However, the one I currently have I have had for 28 years and it still works. The only thing is it makes a lot of noise, DH said the bearing are shot.

Who am I to argue when he wants to buy me a new one for Christmas. Can't wait to use it!!!

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:50pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriO

I love my KA also. I would recommend getting a couple of extra bowls for when you have a several different things going on at once. I would also recommend the beater blade that scrapes down the sides for you when it mixes.

I am not familiar with this attachment. What exactly is it. I have the paddle, wisk and hook. Is this a new attachment.

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:52am
post #24 of 24

My mom can't stand a KA, but I love it...and love the fact that I didn't pay a dime for mine. My grandma got it a few years before she passed (she was an awesome baker!) and it was passed down to my mom...who passed it on to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%