What Is The Best Way For Me To Make A 3D Pumpkin Cake?

Decorating By Getus Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 12:10am by Getus

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 15

without having the 3D pumpkin cake pan? How else can I do this?
Will bundt pan cakes work? Will I have to bake another cake to put in between two bundt cakes to make it taller (so that it's not a short squatty pumpkin?)

TIA!
Carla icon_wink.gif

14 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 15

I once saw someone use two bundt pans, none added in between, and it was a really cute pumpkin.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 15

I was wondering the same thing, I was planning on just stacking some round cakes and carving them...but it'll be interesting to see what other ideas there are.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 15

both of those suggestions will work. The bundt pan is a lot taller when you stack them than you think. I do prefer to carve my cake though. I can add the character to it without much effort. If you just want a plain pumpkin, the ridges in the bundt look nice. Wally World had the pumpkin pan on clearance today. HTH

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 15

Last year I made the pumpkin cakes for the first time. I used bundt cake pans, 2 to be exact. No cake in the middle. Was a lot of cake but everyone loved them. I have mine posted in my photos if you want to look. The one in the back was the first one and the one in front the second and in my "HUMBLE" opinion the better of the two.

This next week I want to play with the cake ball mixture and make mini pumpkins.

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 15

In my pumpkin cake I used 2 bundt pans end to end. It worked perfectly. The stem I used a ice cream cone.
LL

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 15

I made my 1st pumpkin cake this year. I used two bundt pans and it turned out pretty good. I formed the stem out of rct and covered it with fondant. The only thing that I would do different next time is to use maybe a pound cake recipe.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 15

A friend of mine once made it with 2 bundt pans and the ice cream cone for a stem. It worked fine. It was really cute.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 15

Bundt pans are great!! 2 small round glass bowls will work too!!

auntginn Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 15

Hey now that's an idea! I could see that being better so you don't make so much cake. Thanks

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:44pm
post #11 of 15

I used the mini bundt pan and they turned out really cute. They were meant to be per person but that's a lot of cake!

auntginn Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:50pm
post #12 of 15

I want to make mini pumpkins for my grandkids halloween parties at school but don't want them to be ginormous, just about cupcake size. So I was thinking about the cake balls and using an ice scroop instead of the cookies scoop. What do you all think?

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:07pm
post #13 of 15

I'm surprised nobody has suggested using the Wilton sports ball pan. I'm planning to use that pan, and then carving the grooves for the pumpkin shape. I guess this wouldn't be the best option if you want a LARGE cake. I'm giving the cake to my neighbor who has one son, so I think it will be plenty of cake for the 3 of them.

skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:15pm
post #14 of 15

When I made my pumpkin I used two bundt cakes. I put frosting between the two. The bottom bundt cake was upside down and the top cake was right side up. You may want to cut a little off of the bottom bundt cake so that it sits level. I frosted my cakes and then covered with fondant. I sculpted the pumpkin with my hands. When the fondant is really soft you can basically mold it. I painted it with watered down orange food coloring and let it dry. Here's a link to my pic:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1277656.html

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:10am
post #15 of 15

Thanks for all the great replies!

Glad to know I can make use of bundt pan that I already have, since I do not have a pumpkin pan. thumbs_up.gif

I am wanting a good sized cake, as I am taking it to a party @work (hospital), so the bundt will give me plenty of servings. I am planning a display using a pumpkin cake, a spider web cake, and a doll cake made to look like a witch, along with some ghost (fondant covered) cuppies. So yea, LOTS of cake. party.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%