Meringue Buttercream And Refrigerated Cakes

Decorating By cakesweetiecake Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 11:42am by cakesweetiecake

cakesweetiecake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 9

For those of you who refrigerate your cakes iced with meringue buttercreams, how long do you suggest for the cake to come to room temperature?

8 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 9

I take a 3 tier out about 2 hours before delivery. If I know it's going to sit out for awhile before being cut, or if it's outside or if it's warmer than usual, only about an hour.

cakesweetiecake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 9

Ok, thank you! How about smaller or single layer cakes? Same thing?

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 9

Not so different for two tiers...one layer, about an hour. If it's got fondant though, that cake goes in front of a fan to ward off condensation issues.

cakesweetiecake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 9

Ok, thanks alot! The reason that I ask is because I made a simple 8 inch cake for my hubby to take to work today. It was refrigerated overnight, like usual. It sat out of the refrigerator (in a cake holder) for 3 hours. He told me that it was still cold/firm inside when he cut it. So, I figured I'd ask here to see what others suggest.

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 9

Wow...3 hours? And still firm in the middle? Not my experiences, for sure. I'm in a very warm area of the country though too.

prterrell Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 9

The plastic cake holder probably acted as insulation.

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 9

Oh yeah....those cake urns scare me. Cakes gotta breathe man!

cakesweetiecake Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:42am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

The plastic cake holder probably acted as insulation.

I actually thought about that after I typed my post. LOL! I didnt have a box on hand. They were eating the cake right at work. Next time, I am going to just get a box. I told him he could've sat the cake out for a while, outside of the holder. However, when people see cake, they want to eat it right away! LOL!!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%