Little Holes In Fondant

Decorating By DessertGirl Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 12:59pm by Loucinda

DessertGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DessertGirl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I am currently putting fondant on a dummy cake and am noticing that there are little holes in the fondant on top. Is this because i put too much shortening on when I am rolling it or is it too dry? I didn't put icing underneath just a little piping gel to hold it in place.
Thanks for any advice.

5 replies
BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 6

Did you roll it really thin? It sounds like it is ripping. Or it could be because it was not kneaded for long enough. I usually knead with a smear of shortening until it is soft and pliable, then I roll out with just enough cornstarch so that it does not stick to the counter.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 6

I think I know what you are talking about. It could probably be that batch.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 6

Is it mmf? That's what used to happen all the time to me with that type of fondant. I stopped using it. Too many headaches!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:57am
post #5 of 6

Did you get little drops of water on it??

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 6

I know what you are experiencing, and it can happen with any of the fondants. You need to microwave it for a few seconds first (yes, I even microwave satin ice) then knead it. The issue is not being kneaded enough. You want it to be smooth as silk when you are done kneading it - if it isn't you will have those little "holes" or elephand skin as some folks call it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%