Smooth Ricotta...special Kind....where Can I Get It?

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 3:10pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 12

At the catering place I worked we used some kind of really nice thick smooth (not grainy) ricotta cheese for cannoli filling. All the stuff at the grocery stores and Sam's is the normal grainy kind. My boss had told me what the smooth stuff was called and I can't remember. Can anyone tell me how I can find it? I have a hard time making cannoli cream without the smooth kind...the regular kind seems grainy and watery.

11 replies
Magna Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 12

I prefer mascarpone cheese over ricotta, maybe that is what was used?

q2wheels Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 12

Here is what I do when making cannoli: Put the ricotta in either the blender or food processor, process til smooth. Pour into a sieve line with coffee filters, set into a bowl with a lid and leave in the fridge for a day or two. You'll be surprised how much liquid is drained off.

HTH

Toni Ann

Quote:
Quote:

At the catering place I worked we used some kind of really nice thick smooth (not grainy) ricotta cheese for cannoli filling. All the stuff at the grocery stores and Sam's is the normal grainy kind. My boss had told me what the smooth stuff was called and I can't remember. Can anyone tell me how I can find it? I have a hard time making cannoli cream without the smooth kind...the regular kind seems grainy and watery.

sadsmile Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 12

Marscapone?

Kitagrl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 12

Can you get marscapone in the store? And you just make it like regular cannoli right...pwdr sugar and choc chips?

Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 12

Marscapone is a smooth italian cheese that is used in desserts etc..Very yummy but expensive.Kinda like Ricotta

vagostino Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 12

i think for canolli you have to use ricotta to get the true flavor. I'll use a good quality WHOLE milk ricotta and pass it trough a sieve, working it with a spatula.

Magna Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 12

I did some checking, and found out that impastata ricotta cheese is the right kind used in cannoli. I have seen it only in Italian stores.

FlourPots Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 12

I've also put ricotta in a processor to get it creamy (for a low-carb cheesecake)...it worked great.

Kitagrl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:32pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna

I did some checking, and found out that impastata ricotta cheese is the right kind used in cannoli. I have seen it only in Italian stores.

I think that's it! I'll check around to see what I can find. Thanks!

snarkybaker Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:44pm
post #11 of 12

You wont be able to get impasata in the grocery store, BUT if you can't get it, you can drain your whole milk ricotta overnight in a strainer lined with cheesecloth and then process it thoroughly in a food processor or blender until it is smooth, you can get VERY close. It is important that it be whole milk ricotta, and you can get the extra creaminess by adding a touch of sour cream or Mascapone.

Kitagrl Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:10pm
post #12 of 12

I found out Sysco carries it so that will work! I also asked him if I could freeze it (can't use so much bulk!) and he said people do it and it works okay...not the best, but it seems to work with this particular kind.

Thanks all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%