Made Mmf...more Questions

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 12:43am by chouxchoux

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 15

So I made MMF...but didnt need to use the 2lbs powdered sugar it had called for. Did I do something wrong? It became a tight dough and came together with only half that amount of powdered sugar. IT looks fine to me, but its my first time, so I really wouldnt know.

Also, I need to colour the fondant. Should I let it rest or color it now? And I dont need to put it on the cake, but rather im making some rectangle shapes (to resemble buildings and attaching small fondant cutouts on it), how should i attach fondant to fondant?

14 replies
Pickulz Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 15

I just read online that I can attach it just with a dab of water...that seems simple!

rltmeng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rltmeng Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 15

Hi Pickulz, You may not need the entire 2 lbs of sugar, you should know once you are rolling it out. I made it once and I guess I did not have enough sugar, the fondant turned out too soft so when I tried to pick it up, it would just stretch out. Once you have done the recipe a couple of times, you will know how stiff it should be. I find it takes me about 1/2 hour to mix all the sugar in, and it is very slow incorporating towards the end. Hope that helps. Lisa

DakotaDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DakotaDesigns Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 15

I've found that making MMF is not a measured science. Just yesterday I whipped out almost 20 lbs in different flavors and colors in about two hours. What works easiest for me is making smaller batches of colors I need versus one big batch of white. This works great if you do a lot of small figures and shapes. Beware of adding too much color, I've learned that's one of the reasons for the leathery 'elephant' skin look that fondant can produce.
I fill a bowl about halfway (depending on how much fondant I want to make) and add in a tsp of flavor (or water if you wish). When the marshmallows are melted is when I add my color. I then about 1cup at a time put my powdered sugar into the bowl and mix it in. I knead my fondant right there in my glass bowl. Same amount of work, less mess.
For glue I've tried water, it sucks. Takes forever to dry. I've tried vodka, it sucks. I tooled around with gluing many times and found that if I dilute fondant with water to a thick paste, or just plain old corn syrup.

Again, this is just my opinion from my experience. Hope it helps icon_biggrin.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 15

Pickulz, It depends on the sizes of the pieces you are working with. If you are trying to glue small pieces a little water will work. If you are working with larger pieces, your best bet would to be to use either buttercream (not quite as good as Royal Icing but doesn't dry like concrete, or Royal Icing (holds very well but dries like concrete, and who wants to mix up a whole batch of Royal just for glue) There are lots of things you can use. You can do fondant glue (DakotaDesigns suggestion) or you can make a paste out of gumpaste by dissolving a small piece of gumpaste in a small amount of water. Some people use corn syrup. All you need is for it to be sticky enough to hold your piece in place depending upon it's size.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 15

Like another poster said, it's not exact. If your bag of marshmallows was the smaller size (10.5 oz I think) then I could definitely see you needing less PS. I use a 2 pound bag of PS to a 1 pound bag of marshmallows and it works great. If you didn't mix the color in when you melted the marshmallows I would let it sit and then add the color. But if you need a lot of one color, next time, add it to the melted marshmallows.

Also, I use my KA to make my fondant. I can whip out a batch in about 10 minutes start to finish. I know everyone doesn't have one, but if you do, it's a great time saver. Just don't turn it up over speed 2 and make sure you use the dough hook.

If it's a little stiff when you go to use it, don't get worried, pop it in the microwave for about 15 seconds and that will loosen it up, just watch for hot spots when you knead. If it still feels stiff when you are kneading it (and since you said it was tight) add a few drops of water (1 drop at a time), that might work better than trying to loosen it up with crisco, because if you get too much crisco in it, it's just going to be a mess.

Pickulz Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks!
Im attaching small pieces and used water...lets see ..it seems to stick for now..but i do have some royal icing from yesterday so i could use that as well...

ive left my fondant accents out on the countertop...im going to attach them to the cake in 2 days...will they harden and dry up? I hope they do ..might make it easier to attach to my buttercream cake!

mgwebb68 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 15

Depend on how thick they are, how fast they will dry. I made some leaves on Sunday, they are under a fan and they were almost dry last night (that would have been about 2 days). I have some thicker pieces that still are not dry.

Oh, and as far as the "glue" I use gumpaste glue, piping gel or corn syrup. I like the gumpaste glue (gumpaste ball dissolved in hot water) the best. Best consistency, dries the best IMHO.

TYA7677 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TYA7677 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 15

I just made my first batch of mmf yesterday and mine was extremely stiff and crumbling. I didn't use the whole 2lbs of sugar but it was a disaster.... any tips on what I may have done wrong?

Pickulz Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:08pm
post #10 of 15

Which recipe did you use? If there are more than one MMF recipes........

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 15

TYA7677

you haven't done anything wrong, try kneading in a little bit of crisco at a time, you will be amazed how smooth it will be.

Hope that helps,
Sarah

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:16pm
post #12 of 15

I NEVER use the entire amount. When you roll it out you might need more sugar, but it seems to be dependent on the weather, your house temperature, and the alignment of the stars!! lol.
Use vodka or gin to attach small fondant pieces. Water can turn it mushy. For larger pieces, use royal icing.

TYA7677 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TYA7677 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:35pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickulz

Which recipe did you use? If there are more than one MMF recipes........

I used:
16 oz mini marshmallows
1 tsp clear vanilla
1 tsp clear butter
2 tbsp water
2lbs powdered sugar (didn't use it all)

greased the bowl with shortening, microwaved the marshmallows and liquids in 30 sec increments until melted then stired in about 1/2 of the sugar then kneaded in the rest of the sugar on a greased surface.... but i guess in the future i need to knead in some shortening....

mgwebb68 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:48pm
post #14 of 15

Ok, that's the same recipe that I use and I love it. The difference is I make mine in my KA, I grease the KA bowl with crisco and mix 1/2 the ps with the melted marshmallows with the beater blade. Once that is mixed I change to the dough hook, add the rest of the ps and mix. Sometimes it gets a little dry and crumbly, I just add a drop of water at a time until it loosens back up. There's usually about 1/4 of ps that doesn't mix in.

I would suggest popping it in the microwave for about 15 seconds to loosen it up, then add a few drops (I do mean drops I don't think I've ever added more than an extra 1/2 teaspoon of water) of water to it to try to get it to not be as dry. I tend to have problems when it gets too much crisco and once that happens there's no good way to fix it (at least there hasn't been when I've tried).

I use to hate fondant, but I've figured out how to make this recipe work for me, in my house, with my area's humidity, etc. and I don't have any problems. Don't give up on it. I've tried several recipes and this easiest one, with the best flavor (which you can change at will). Plus, it's cheap to make.

chouxchoux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chouxchoux Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:43am
post #15 of 15

does any body make mmf with fluff?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%