Attaching Royal Icing Decorations?

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 2:41pm by Cakepro

Pickulz Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:10am
post #1 of 4

Ive made spiderwebs using royal icing and they are drying now...but I wanted to know how to attach them to a buttercream covered cake? Wont it break? or melt? Since we try so hard not to let grease come near RI? My buttercream does have crisco in it.

3 replies
Cakepro Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:54am
post #2 of 4

You only need to keep grease away from RI while it's MIXING. Otherwise, it's fine! You can pipe royal icing directly onto buttercream if you wanted.

To attach your spider webs, use melted chocolate, royal icing, or buttercream. icon_smile.gif

Pickulz Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:36am
post #3 of 4

What a relief!!! Thanks!!!
I read so many places -danger 'keep grease away' from RI..that I thought keep it away for life icon_lol.gif

Cakepro Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 4

LOL, I know - and there are a LOT of people here who are quite mistaken about grease/oil and RI.

When you make RI flowers inside of a lily nail, you can actually spray the foil with Pam or rub the foil with a little Crisco or vegetable oil, then pipe your RI flowers on the greased foil. This makes them pop out without any resistance or sticking. When people read that tip, some flat-out say it's not possible ~ but I've been teaching this method for 12 years now ~ LOL. icon_smile.gif

Can't wait to see your cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%