Please Help ....chocolate Fondant

Decorating By janet2009 Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 7:40pm by auntiecake

janet2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janet2009 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:23am
post #1 of 10

Hi to all,

I am wondering if anybody could share their ideas on what color gel should i mix to get a real chocolate color on my fondant? I have just tried mixing brown color in fondant but it doesnt look chocolate. Please help me...my sister want me to make her a fall theme cake with chocolate fondant on friday. i know you can buy chocolate fondat at the cake store but i have some leftover white fondant to use. so i just want to make use of it....thanks in advance.

9 replies
CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:16am
post #2 of 10

I think if you search the recipes section there is a recipe called "Wilton Chocolate fondant" or something like that and it involves mixing stuff with already made white fondant to achieve a dark brown fondant.

There are also several marshmallow chocolate fondant recipes you may be able to use or modify to help you use up the fondant you have or just make some new chocolate fondant.

Good luck!

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:46am
post #3 of 10

It takes a LOT of brown color to make it look chocolate. Cocoa kneaded in might help the color too. Choc MMF is also an alternative.

janet2009 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks a lot cakediosa....yes, you are right...i was reading it last night i found it at wilton yearbook and im thnkng of trying it. thanks for your reply..i appreciate it

janet2009 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 10

auntiecake......i am scared to mix cocoa powder coz it might affect the taste of the fondanr? i was thinking of doing that also but im just not sure. Have you tried it by yourself before? thank you for your suggestion and i will try mixing a lot of brown color now to see the result. thank you very much.

auntiecake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 10

You can get brown w/ Wilton or Americolor! It takes a lot and it gets much darker after sitting. I wouldn't use a lot of cocoa unless you are making it from scratch like chocolate MMF. I believe the recipe is here on CC. Good luck!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 10

Adding cocoa will dry out your fondant. That is only a good idea when you're making it from scratch instead of some of the ps. I also add some color after that.

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 10

I always use chocolate MMF for browns and black fondant. This comes out a nice deep dark chocolate brown color. For lighter brown shades, I knead in white MMF to desired color. The best thing is, this tastes great and you get normal brown shades without using any food coloring (my browns never come out right using white MMF, they're alwasy kind of orangey and unnatural looking). Of course, you would still have to add black coloring to get black fondant, but you definitely don't need as much as you do for white fondant.

Edited to add: Yes, adding cocoa will dry out your fondant if you don't use less powdered sugar.

janet2009 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 10

alright guys...thanks a lot for all your suggestions...i just got home from Michaels to purchase some food color. a also bought some wilton premium candy melts to try later the recipe of chocolate fondant(Wilton recipe in the yearbook) thanks also for the info about adding cocoa to fondant which is not good....i wont do that then...i will try auntiecake suggestion first and see whats the result. i will be back you guys later and let you know....again..many thanks for all your very good suggestions ....thanks..god bless you all...

auntiecake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:40pm
post #10 of 10

Use Crisco to knead if the fondant is too dry! It is great and won't hurt the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%