Needing Advice On Making Cake In Advance...

Decorating By kenzerroo Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 12:26am by poohsmomma

kenzerroo  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kenzerroo Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:14am
post #1 of 3

Hello all,

I have recently happened upon this site while looking for some answers to cake questions of mine. Which, I am happy to say, I found quite a few while browsing through here. However, I have come across some things that make me a little nervous as well.

My main concern at the moment happens to be this:

I am making my brother's wedding cake for this Saturday and had not planned on working on it until Thursday. The fondant I am using to cover the cake (most of which is a dummy) is Black Satin Ice. However, thanks to browsing this forum I have come upon the issue that the Satin Ice fondant, mainly in black, cracks, forms bubbles, is extra-soft, ect.

So, should I consider starting on this cake in advance....say tomorrow, to ensure that if I do have a significant problem with the fondant, I can get it fixed or perhaps use buttercream instead? Will this cause the fondant to become dry looking if I having it sitting around?

I have made wedding cakes before and have had one sit around for a good week or so on display, but it has been such a long time I cannot remember what effect that had on the cake's appearance.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

2 replies
 julibel  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julibel Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 3

I add a little, Like a pintch of shortening to the fondant to make it not so dry, this seems to keep it from cracking and drying out.

poohsmomma  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:26am
post #3 of 3

Hey Kenzerroo,
Welcome to CC.

I don't work in fondant, usually, so I'm not going to be any help. However I'm proud to give you a bump so maybe someone else will.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%