Needing Advice On Making Cake In Advance...

Decorating By kenzerroo Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 12:26am by poohsmomma

kenzerroo Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:14am
post #1 of 3

Hello all,

I have recently happened upon this site while looking for some answers to cake questions of mine. Which, I am happy to say, I found quite a few while browsing through here. However, I have come across some things that make me a little nervous as well.

My main concern at the moment happens to be this:

I am making my brother's wedding cake for this Saturday and had not planned on working on it until Thursday. The fondant I am using to cover the cake (most of which is a dummy) is Black Satin Ice. However, thanks to browsing this forum I have come upon the issue that the Satin Ice fondant, mainly in black, cracks, forms bubbles, is extra-soft, ect.

So, should I consider starting on this cake in advance....say tomorrow, to ensure that if I do have a significant problem with the fondant, I can get it fixed or perhaps use buttercream instead? Will this cause the fondant to become dry looking if I having it sitting around?

I have made wedding cakes before and have had one sit around for a good week or so on display, but it has been such a long time I cannot remember what effect that had on the cake's appearance.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

2 replies
julibel Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 3

I add a little, Like a pintch of shortening to the fondant to make it not so dry, this seems to keep it from cracking and drying out.

poohsmomma Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:26am
post #3 of 3

Hey Kenzerroo,
Welcome to CC.

I don't work in fondant, usually, so I'm not going to be any help. However I'm proud to give you a bump so maybe someone else will.

Quote by @%username% on %date%