Just Feel Like Whining!

Lounge By Melvira Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 4:55am by cabecakes

Melvira Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:03am
post #1 of 37

Hey there, I'm in one of 'those' moods, so I thought I'd start a thread to just whine for a minute! Haha! Ok, but I am actually going to whine with a purpose, sort of.

I've been dieting my butt off (literally) and I have been SO good! I have lost over 40 pounds, I work out like a fiend, I eat very little, and never any really 'good' stuff. So far I've handled it really well, and I do give myself occasional treats, I'm not totally punishing myself. But tonight, I just want to stuff my face with junk! (No, it's not PMS! Haha!) I mean, all I can think about is baking cookies and eating every last one. Making brownies and eating the whole pan, oh good grief, a pan of Fruity Pebbles crispy rice treats, don't get me started!! My usual methods of getting past that are not working. I had a single serve pack of Quaker Mini-Delights Chocolatey Mint, (Seriously, if you're dieting, you MUST try these. They are to die for!) I've had a 100 calorie pack of Kettle Korn. I even let myself have a little bite of brownie when I was letting the boys have one for dessert. What on earth am I going to do? I mean, I could just freak out and eat like a cow for 20 minutes, then spend two hours working out tomorrow! Hahaha! But the whole point is that I'm trying to make life changes, not just diet for a little while and lose a few pounds, then put them right back on.

What coping mechanisms do you use when you're trying to be healthy? I'd love to share some ideas with each other if you're interested. My biggest problem is that I can't eat 'regular' food without gaining weight! I had one piece of pizza and one sugar cookie one night and I put on THREE pounds! That's nuts! Anyway, I can't wait to hear some of your great ideas, etc. Hugs all!

36 replies
Deb_ Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:21am
post #2 of 37

Whine away..............

I feel and know your pain all too well. 3 years ago I came to the realization that I needed a "lifestyle change" where food was concerned.

Truth be told I went to the doctors and was horrified when I stepped on the scale and it said 219lbs (I'm 5'3").....she checked off "obesity" on the form.

I got in my car and cried.....that same day I joined weight watchers and today I'm 80lbs lighter.

The only way I could stick to the diet was to allow myself one free day on the weekend.....I didn't eat everything in sight on that day, but if I wanted cake I ate a piece...then the next day I got back on track.

Somehow it was easier for me to stay on the diet during the week knowing that I could treat myself on the weekend.

One thing that really helped me not "pick" in the evening was to floss and brush my teeth right after dinner....for some reason, I didn't want to eat anything else and mess my clean teeth up. IDK it worked for me.

Congratulations on the weight you've lost so far.....that's a great accomplishment. If you want a brownie.....eat a brownie, then get back on track after that.....oh and don't forget floss and brush! icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:37am
post #3 of 37

Thanks Deb! Sometimes it's just nice to know that other people are battling it, too! You know, I'm only 5'4" and the weight that they consider 'ideal' for me is 129 lbs with my larger frame (broad shoulders, muscular build) but I don't conceivably see that happening in this lifetime! I'm ok with that, and honestly, I don't have a set weight goal. I just want to feel good, be able to chase my boys, and look nice in my clothes. I'm not one of those people that thinks, "I've got to be 118 pounds or I'm a failure at life!!" (That would be my mom, BTW!)

I think I've made it through the night without going crazy. I had a low sugar popsicle and that really helped. My biggest problem is that I am insulin resistant, so I can't have sugar. When I do I just feel yucky, but for some reason I still crave it. It's stupid, but that's how it is. Have a great night, and I think I'm heading to bed before I eat anything else! Hahaha!

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:43am
post #4 of 37

Weight Watchers online is the coolest thing ever. But it isn't dieting. It is a lifestyle change that must be stuck to. It really helps to have another member of the family work it with you. Comparing points, emailing recipes, and the best part...building your own recipes and calculating points. Give it a try!

Sugarflowers Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:48am
post #5 of 37

Congrats on the weight you have lost so far!!

If you are cutting too many calories then you might be putting yourself in starvation mode. It will be next to impossible to lose weight like this. There are on-line calculators that can tell you how many calories you need to maintain, gain, or lose weight based on how much you weigh now. This might help to not feel so deprived.

The glycemic index is a good way to know what types of carbohydrates will raise blood sugar more than others. For instance; a barely ripe banana is low on the index, while a very ripe banana is very high on the index. Peanut M&Ms are low GI.

Also, ask your doctor to do a full blood work up that includes hormone levels, vitamin deficiencies, and thyroid. The thyroid test should include a test for the conversion of T4 to T3. My thyroid numbers always came out normal until the conversion test, then it was discovered that there was very little converting happening at all!

Don't give up. You have come a long way so far. As tough as it is, keep up the good work. I'm very happy for you!

Michele

MustloveDogs Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:20am
post #6 of 37

Melvira, keep up the good work!
I am watching what I eat now too. I don't call it a diet because I want to be healthy too, not just lose weight.
I used to eat junk food for every meal of the day, and while people say I don't put on any weight and I must have an awesome metabolism, the reality is that I now weigh 17 kgs more than on my wedding day! Whoa!
My trick for not caving into my cravings is to go to bed early. Seriously, it sounds slack but I go to bed upstairs as soon as the kids are in bed and I then get comfy reading a book or magazine and cannot be bothered going back downstairs to get the junkfood. This might sound silly but it works for me so far!

JGMB Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:30am
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

I think I'm heading to bed before I eat anything else!

This may actually work!! I know that, mid-afternoon when I'm thinking of inhaling an entire cupboard of junk food, I get thru it if I can take a quick nap. I honestly think that lack of sleep leads to sugar cravings. Of course, I have a better chance at a nap than you because my kids are grown and gone! Seriously, though, see if you can lie down for just 10 minutes or so. It's worth a try.

just_for_fun Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 37

I'm trying to lose about 30 lbs so I'm not overweight, but cutting back on the "good stuff" makes me whiney too. I told dh he'll have to deal w/ that, I don't want to let it out on the kids. I don't want to call it dieting, cuase that means that if I eat one thing i shouldn't, i'm off the diet, and thats the end of it. i also joined a gym, smartest thing i ever did!! I thought i would have to force myself to work out at least an hour every time i'm there, instead i have to force myself to leave after 1 1/2 hours cause thats how long i have a babysitter for! i'm still in the middle of the first month and i'm afraid to weigh myself, i don't want to get upset. i think i will skip the weighing thing, i'll just look out for my clothes to fit better.

mkolmar Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:08pm
post #9 of 37

Melvira, congrats on the weight loss. What type of food are you eating?

Carson Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:22pm
post #10 of 37

I've managed to cut the cravings at night just by refusing to eat anything after supper. It is hard - I love those chips and chocolate bars, etc...but it gets easier with time (honestly!)

I surprised myself when I realized I really didn't care to eat much at night anymore (now to just get rid of all the yummy food that gets brought to work.

I've also taken the focus off of what I eat. With the neck/back problems I have been having, its been necessary to focus on getting myself into proper shape and the muscles stronger in my back/stomach/pelvis etc...I am happy with my progress, even though I haven't seen a significant weight loss, the progress of my lifestyle change is off to a great start!

sadsmile Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:10pm
post #11 of 37

Eat something that turns your appetite off. Sweets keep it going. Tuna fish or a baked potato with lemon pepper seasoning on it works for me. A Glass of tomato juice shuts down the eating urge real quick. An apple is quite satisfying. Perhaps your body is craving protein. Drinking lots of water also helps.

Melvira Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:33pm
post #12 of 37

I know a lot of people that use Weight Watchers and think it's really great, and I like the whole idea of it, but their eating plans won't work for my with my insulin resistance. Seriously, I was looking at buying some 'diet' entrees at the grocery for those times when I'm crunched for time and it's either a frozen entree or something BAD (or worse, skipping eating at all) and I noticed the same thing with almost all of them... they cut down the calories and the fat, but the sugar content is too high. Even foods that were technically 2 point could have up to 20 grams of sugar. That's like the amount I can eat in a whole day!

I'm familiar with the 'starvation mode' issue. My mom thinks that's what dieting is. icon_rolleyes.gif How long can she go without eating?? And then her body turns on her and starts storing the fat. I've tried to explain it to her, and get her into exercising to burn off the calories she ingests, but she just has zero interest in that.

I'm working very hard to balance the right amount of calories and exercise for my body weight and the weight I want to lose. It's like this evil game of trying to get all the right numbers, and not give up when its tough. Fortunately I didn't have a break down last night, and I didn't gain any weight, so going to bed might be a good option for me. It seems like I have the toughest time at night, so maybe that's just the right thing to do!

It really does help to just be able to come here and let it all out to people who will understand and give positive reinforcement. My husband is just like, "Well have a brownie if you want one." He loves me regardless of weight, so I am very lucky in that respect, but I want to be more healthy for him and the boys. His insistance that my weight doesn't matter to him only makes me want to get/stay in shape more!! thumbs_up.gif Simply because he is so kind about it.

Carson Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:55pm
post #13 of 37
Quote:

My husband is just like, "Well have a brownie if you want one." He loves me regardless of weight, so I am very lucky in that respect, but I want to be more healthy for him and the boys. His insistance that my weight doesn't matter to him only makes me want to get/stay in shape more!! thumbs_up.gif Simply because he is so kind about it.

There is a lot to be said for this...my husband does not seem to care about my weight, which forces me to want to lose it just for myself. I watched my Mom struggle for years while my Dad was a arse and nagged her about it, not surprisingly she didn't loose a thing. She seems to be slowly able to take it off now that they are divorced.

Sadly my husband is my own worse enemy...he'll run to the store and bring me home all kinds of treats. I think i finally have him understanding that although I appreciate him thinking of me I don't want that crap anymore. On the flip side, his weight does matter to me, but only because I am scared to death how I would survive if he were to have a heart attack or something. If he is fat, happy and healthy then I don't care what he weighs - the part that irks me is he can drop 20 lbs a month by actually doing very little - ugh!!

sadsmile Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:59pm
post #14 of 37

I don't understand some of the replacement diets junk either. My mom is on a diet from her Doctor no less that you eat 5-6 times a day. but most of it is just a snack type thing that you pick. She mostly chooses their hot chocolate mix or a granola bar. I asked her how eating that sweet stuff was a replacement for good old fashioned eating right. She said it's loaded with vitamins and proteins. She has been on it for more then a year and hasn't lost any real weight. She keeps cheating and gaining back the few pounds she lost because she isn't satisfied. I asked her one day is it really working?- Then it's not worth the money you're spending on it and your body needs real food.

Portion control is a huge issue. We have gotten our tummies used to being filled and stretched out of size-some 2-3XS normal size. It takes more to get that "full feeling." Our bodies also have this amazing way of getting ready for the food we eat. Your body can tell what you are eating and will release the correct stuff to absorb the vitamins and minerals and proteins and sugars from what you are chewing.

This fake food is just nuts because you really can not fool the body in that way. if the food doesn't contain what your body needs it is just going to store fat because it's in famine mode from not getting proper nutrition. You don't have to be starving to be in famine mode-just not eating a balanced diet can do that and turn on your fat absorbers.

Mel (((HUG))) keep up the great work hun!!!

Melvira Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:25pm
post #15 of 37

You know, portion control is the worst... and the WHOLE WORLD seems to be trying to sabotage it! I hate eating out because, not only is the food NOT healthy (even the salads are loaded with fattening bad stuff) the portions are insane. They bring you a plate with enough food for me, and both my kids! But then they look at you crazy if you say you're all sharing. Hey, it's not my fault you made this plate a half pound cheeseburger, 3 potatoes worth of fries, and a salad. I wish restaurants in general would start offering what I would call 'moderate meals'. Some menus have them, but only for senior citizens. Every great once in a while I'll come across a place that has it and they call it 'lighter appetites'. But you know, realistic sized portions. 4 oz of meat, half a cup of vegetables, a small potato or salad, whatever. Just not the 16 ounce porterhouse with a pound and a half of fries and 2 cups of slaw. People always say, "Well, take the rest home and make three meals out of it!" which is great except for two things 1.) Many restaurant prepared items are things that don't reheat well. (French fries microwaved = complete nastiness) and 2.) I don't want three days worth of fattening food either. I wasn't all that excited to eat it at ONE meal, let alone three! I just avoid eating out altogether as much as humanly possible. My husband gets mad sometimes because he'll want to treat me to a 'nice meal out'. I tell him, give me the fifty bucks, I'll cook you a REALLY good meal, and spend the other $35 on a gift for myself! Hahaha. Then he says the point is that he wants to treat me, so I don't have to do the work. Fine... you can 'treat me' by doing the dishes for me after dinner! Oh wait, he doesn't want to do the work either! Hahahhaa. Just teasing. I have the best hubby ever. I'm not really coming down on him, just joking a little. But I will COMPLETELY agree that the #1 way to make a woman (the average woman anyway) WANT to lose weight is to tell her that she doesn't HAVE TO. When my hubby says he loves me no matter what, that he thinks I'm beautiful and sexy regardless of what I weigh... all I want to do is go work out and lose weight and blow his mind! Like, "Oh, you think I'm sexy NOW?? Just you wait mister... I'll show you sexy, you sweet, sweet man!" I think his attitude toward my body is the ultimate form of respect. And while I am VERY appreciative that he feels that way, this is WHY I married him, ya know? My mom will comment that I'm so lucky I don't have my sis' hubby and I tell her, "I would've never been stupid enough to marry a man like that." My marriage wasn't luck, it was me being selective. icon_lol.gif And it's a joint effort of us treating each other with dignity and respect.

Woah... did I get waaaay off subject here or what?? Man, I am in a babbling mood right now. I'd better go get my butt on the Wii fit and work out this energy!!

sadsmile Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:36pm
post #16 of 37

LOL Mel! Hubby wanted to take me out last weekend to dinner and a movie. I said we'll eat at home cause I have to cook for the kids and my mom anyhow... then we'll do movie and then two games of bowling to get our legs working again. We had fun! I am trying to cut some pounds too and THEE last thing I want to do it sit down to a trough of food! So instead of feeding my face and watching my butt grow bigger-he watched my butt the whole time we were bowling. thumbs_up.gificon_wink.gif

Melvira Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:43pm
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

So instead of feeding my face and watching my butt grow bigger-he watched my butt the whole time we were bowling. thumbs_up.gificon_wink.gif

Hahahahah!! I LOVE it!! I do a workout during the day while hubby is working and kids are sleeping, but sometimes I do a second one in the evening after kids go to bed, and hubby is sitting on the couch with his laptop. I KNOW he is watching sometimes, and I like to put a little extra 'oomph' into it for him! Hahahaha. He loves it when I do the Wii Fit Hula Hoop!! icon_redface.gif I'm terrible, aren't I?

Carson Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:58pm
post #18 of 37

Haha, men are easy aren't they? I catch my DH peeking while I'm working out...also the effort put into kneading fondant seems to catch his eye too. And if I want to be really evil I work out in his hockey t-shirt, lol.

FierceConfections Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm
post #19 of 37

Sparkpeople.com is a fantastic resource for figuring out how many calories you should be consuming every day in order to lose X amount of weight in X amount of time. You record everything you eat, and it shows you a breakdown every week, so you can see how much fat/protein/carbs you're eating. It is a very helpful site.

To practice portion control at a restaurant, ask for a to-go container when you order your meal. Then when your meal comes, scrap half of it into the container so you can't see it. It's amazing how much fuller you'll feel when you can't see what you're missing. thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:31pm
post #20 of 37

Oh Carson... you're the good kind of evil! Me likey!! I'm sure hubby does too! Hehehe.

I am going to go check out that site FierceConfections! Thanks for that, I always like finding new resources to rely on!

Man, I just did 30 minutes of weights then jogged 4.13 miles and I am whooped! I would say I'm sore, but I'm still numb. In about 2 hours I'll be sore! Hahahaha!

BTW, I have to add, my 4 year old has figured out that by holding the Wii controller and whipping your hands up and down really fast you can make your Wii character run really fast. He does it and laughs his fanny off! He thinks it's the funniest thing ever! Sometimes he jogs along with it, but he can't keep up that pace very long. But I think it's a great way for him to burn up his energy and have fun at the same time, especially when it's yucky outside!

Carson Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:00pm
post #21 of 37

My 6 year old can beat anyone in Wii Boxing...she jogs in place while boxing - all the adults are out of breathe while my little tiny girl is jogging and boxing and kicking butt!

Melvira Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:22am
post #22 of 37

Oh man, I love the boxing, but for some reason it never recognizes when I dodge! Grrrrr! icon_lol.gif

aquamom Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:28am
post #23 of 37

Hello,

A couple of thoughts. I really like the idea of taking the money your husband wants to spend on taking you out to dinner and spending it on yourself--not the business--not the kids. Have someone watch the kids and go and get your nails done--get a spa treatment--buy something you want. Call it an incentive program if you will. All companies offer them .

Also celebrate how far you have come and honor all the sacrafices you have made.

Can't help you with what to eat or how often. That's an individual choice. For me I just don't eat desserts. I was doing really great with my weight for a while and then it's been sneaking back on me. I am trying to lose afew pounds by cutting back on portion sizes and eating less of my trigger foods . I'm not perfect and I do the best I can. I do want to get to a healthy weight so I can be around a long time for my family.

Take Care Melvira--you can do this.

lthiele Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:14am
post #24 of 37

Melvira - I am also fighting a lifelong battle with the bulge! When I am being good, the moment I find myself standing in front of the cupboard or fridge, I just ask myself "Am i really hungry or am I eating for another reason? Boredom, lonliness etc" Just stopping for a second to break the "auto pilot eating machine" is often enough for me to walk away again! icon_lol.gif

When that fails and I really have a hankering - I stand in front of the sink and make myself drink a glass of water first. Beneficial all round, but it seems to trick your brain in thinking - ok I've had something now. Drinking water before your meal is also a good way to fill up, as the food swells when it hits the water. It's gross to think about - but it's supposed to work! icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:27am
post #25 of 37

I am the worst with emotional eating! The problem is, it's for EVERY emotion! Hahaha! Oh, are you sad? Here, this cake will help cheer you up! You did something very well, have a brownie to celebrate! Are you bored? Wouldn't baking and eating cookies be fun? You know what I'm talking about... we've all been there, haven't we? I'm trying to break myself from centering everything around food. Family gatherings are BRUTAL because I have a lot of good cooks in my family, and everyone loves my cooking, so get togethers are always centered around food.

I'll tell you, the new feature of the Wii Fit Plus software is that after each exercise it tells you how many calories (approximately) you just burned. After 30 minutes of jogging I saw how many calories I burned and was like, "Are you freaking kidding me?!?!" So every time I want to eat something I'm like, "Ok, am I willing to do another XX minutes of exercise so I can eat this?" If not, then I probably won't eat it!

Another thing I have to overcome is finger licking. Obviously I don't do that when working on client projects, but you know what I mean, at home you are putting something in the oven and you are walking to the sink to wash off the batter that you streaked down your arm... hmmmmm, let's see if it truly IS impossible for a human to lick their own elbow!! Hahaha! I run break-neck speed to the hot water now. The sooner it's down the drain the better off I'll be!

Thank you everyone for your words of support and encouragement. I appreciate all of it. I know I can do this... heck, I've done it before, but hopefully this will be the last time I'll have to work this hard at it. Oh, I have to laugh... I found my lower abs today!! icon_razz.gif Part of the problem I have is that after having a couple babies, I'm not as taut as I'd like to be in the gut area. So I've been working really hard on that. I've always had pretty firm upper abs, but the lower are always covered with fat. Today I was thrilled to actually be able to feel my lower abs as I did the exercises!! (Yes, I put my palm flat on my abs when I do the crunches to feel the contractions. I suppose I'm weird, but it's comforting. It makes me feel like this is actually DOING something!)

Alrighty, I've got tomorrow's orders done, I'm heading to bed before one of them turns up missing! Hehehe.

lthiele Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:33am
post #26 of 37

Hooray - just had to say congratulations! ALL my abs have been MIA since baby number 1. My youngest is now 3, how long ARE we aloud to use it as an excuse anyway??!! icon_lol.gificon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

KathysCC Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:19am
post #27 of 37

Melvira!!! It's so good to see you around again. I thought you fell in a hole! icon_lol.gif

I'm so proud of you for Wii Fitting and taking off some pounds. Hooray for you! icon_biggrin.gif I just started back on Wii Fit this week and we just got the Wii Fit Plus. I'm excited about the calorie counter.

Back to your original question. Of course, I'm no expert but I think that if you deprive yourself too much that you are going to want to be bad more. Maybe you do have to "cheat" a little. Have a brownie once in a while, or do like I did when I went to TOPS. Have a cheat night once a week, which I did after the meeting and weigh-in. icon_lol.gif I used to go thru the week and see something I wanted really bad but save it til Thursday night. Usually the kids would eat all the cookies by then but sometimes I'd stash a candy bar or something. I lost a lot of weight despite my weekly cheat. I know another lady who lost all her weight and kept it off even though she allowed herself a Snickers bar EVERY day. She counted it toward her overall calories.

It is so awesome that you are doing this! I wish you the best! Don't quit and don't let it get you down when you mess up, everyone does once in a while. Just stick with it. thumbs_up.gif

just_for_fun Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:10pm
post #28 of 37
Quote:

Man, I just did 30 minutes of weights then jogged 4.13 miles and I am whooped! I would say I'm sore, but I'm still numb. In about 2 hours I'll be sore! Hahahaha!

I found that as long as I excercise every day, I don't get sore. It's only on the days that I don't do much that I start feeling what I did yesterday.

Thanks for showing me that we're all in the same struggle.

Carson Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm
post #29 of 37
Quote:

Today I was thrilled to actually be able to feel my lower abs as I did the exercises!! (Yes, I put my palm flat on my abs when I do the crunches to feel the contractions. I suppose I'm weird, but it's comforting. It makes me feel like this is actually DOING something!)

Not weird at all! My physiotherapist showed me where to place my hands while doing ab strengthing exercises to feel what muscle is working.

Still have to get that new Wii Fit Plus software...still ignoring the Wii a bit as I don't want to be reprimanded for ignoring her!

On a side note...I have been resisting the donuts sitting in the next office over...distracting myself with CC!

Mike1394 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:35pm
post #30 of 37

To get over the hump at times go to exrx.net message board.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%