Satin Ice Question

Decorating By babycakes73 Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 2:28pm by FierceConfections

babycakes73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes73 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:47am
post #1 of 6

I am just wondering how this satin ice product is to work with. I have never used it before and will be using for a cake I am making for a friend.
I used to make my own MMF but it is very unpredictable, in that it would work well on one cake, but horrible on the next and can be a pain and mess to make. So I thought I would give Satin Ice a try.
I would like to hear about others experiences with this fondant product.
Thanks.

5 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:01am
post #2 of 6

Satin Ice is used by many people here on CC. I personally like the consistency and texture of the fondant although it isn't consistent batch by batch (sometimes I get soft, sometimes firm).

I'd still use Satin Ice--just not fan of the taste.

KTcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTcakes Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:13am
post #3 of 6

I have had good success with Satin Ice and it is much less messy MMF. The taste isn't good or bad I would say. More edible than Wilton by far but not as good as MMF. All in all, I like to use Satin Ice when I know I don't have or don't want to take the time to make my own.

FierceConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FierceConfections Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 6

I used to make my own fondant (Michele Foster's recipe), but it got to be really tedious. When I made the switch to Satin Ice, I was really pleased. For the most part, the fondant is consistent in texture, and the taste is similar to homemade. The only things I don't like about Satin Ice are the smell (kind of chemically), and how it acts in humidity - it can get really soft, really quickly!

All in all, though, I highly recommend it.

babycakes73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes73 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 6

so if the satin ice gets soft do you just add some powdererd sugar to it??

FierceConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FierceConfections Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakes73

so if the gets soft do you just add some powdererd sugar to it??

The heat from the kneading compounded with the humidity is what makes it so soft, so I just let it sit out for a bit and it firms right up. Mostly, if its humid, you just need to work more quickly. I've never tried adding powdered sugar to Satin Ice, although I've probably inadvertently added quite a bit of cornstarch since that's what I cover my counter top with when kneading and rolling out fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%