Need Help With This Cake!

Decorating By thecakeprincess Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 3:25pm by sadsmile

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:21am
post #1 of 10

This cake is for my cousins sweet sixteen party. Is this a fondant covered cake with white sanding sugar?

Thanks
LL

9 replies
lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:25am
post #2 of 10

It's hard to tell isn't it. My guess is that it's buttercream, I think I can see a few patches that might give it away - but overall it's very smooth! The sugar would stick better to BC as well.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:29am
post #3 of 10

You could do it either with BC or fondant. To get the sanding sugar to stick to the fondant, brush it with a very thin layer of piping gel.

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:44am
post #4 of 10

I've never heard of sanding sugar - is it a specialty cake thing? Where do you get it from? I really like the look of it!

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:45am
post #5 of 10

Yes...this cake is from the Wilton Tiered Cake book. I saw it at WM and HL. Not hard at all...you can do it!

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:08pm
post #6 of 10

I have not tried this before as I would be afraid it would be difficult to ensure the sugar is applied evenly. I have seen it done with fresh buttercream before. I would agree with piping gel for fondant. I would try a sample piece to be sure.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:09pm
post #7 of 10

I thought it was sparkling sugar not sanding sugar that it was covered with

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:36pm
post #8 of 10

this is a fondant covered cake coated with piping gel and has sanding sugar added.

Here is a pic from CC

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1283715

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:37pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you guys for all your help! I'll be sure to look in the Wilton Tiered book for this also. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this turns out well.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:25pm
post #10 of 10

Wilton makes a white sparkling sugar that is coarse and shiny. There may even be some sparkle dust or disco dust mixed in on that cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%