Any Good Cake Books For A 9 Y.o. Kid??

Decorating By ceshell Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm by kendraskitchen

ceshell Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:14am
post #1 of 6

Hi cake friends! I was so flattered to just get a message from a Facebook friend who says her 9 year old daughter loves looking at my cakes and has even tried to copy some of them. How cute! (well, as long as she give me credit. icon_razz.gif j/k!!

She said her daughter has been baking and decorating since she was little (hey, 9 is still little!) and asked me if I have any recommendations for kids' cake books. She wrote "something not too advanced but she doesn't want another "baby" cake book." But I have to confess, I don't have a clue icon_redface.gif.

Can anyone help? I just searched the forums for "Kids book" and "beginner book" and came up empty.

Thanks!

5 replies
tripleD Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:29am
post #2 of 6

9 yrs. wow. I was thirteen. My aunt made me a holly hobby cake. I thought that was the most amazing thing i had ever seen.I cried when they cut it. My aunt then went out got me my first copy of wilton and a set of tips. cakes have been in my heart ever since.
wilton magaziones have a lot of ideas and tips she will only learn from what she reads.
good luck

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:47am
post #3 of 6

I would get one of the easier Debbie Brown books...maybe 50 Easy Party Cakes. I have that one and my daughters love to look at it for hours. Nothing in it is too hard either.

ceshell Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the tips. What about Hello Cupcake? I've never seen it but it "sounds" so user-friendly icon_razz.gif - I have no idea if it would be appropriate for a 9yo.

Do you think one of the Wilton yearbooks would be the right skill level?

delisa01 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 6

Hello Cupcake is very appropriate and user friendly for kids. I have not made anything out of it but my kids love to look at it.

kendraskitchen Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 6

I like the book Cakes for Kids. It's not written as a kids decorating book but mainly as a book that shows kid themed cakes. The directions are very simple to follow and they have it divided into different difficulty levels. They take a regular cake pan - either round or 9 x 13 and show how to cut it up into different designs. Their designs are simple and I'm sure a 9 year old with interest in cake decorating could do the majority of the designs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%