Any Good Cake Books For A 9 Y.o. Kid??

Decorating By ceshell Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm by kendraskitchen

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:14am
post #1 of 6

Hi cake friends! I was so flattered to just get a message from a Facebook friend who says her 9 year old daughter loves looking at my cakes and has even tried to copy some of them. How cute! (well, as long as she give me credit. icon_razz.gif j/k!!

She said her daughter has been baking and decorating since she was little (hey, 9 is still little!) and asked me if I have any recommendations for kids' cake books. She wrote "something not too advanced but she doesn't want another "baby" cake book." But I have to confess, I don't have a clue icon_redface.gif.

Can anyone help? I just searched the forums for "Kids book" and "beginner book" and came up empty.

Thanks!

5 replies
tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:29am
post #2 of 6

9 yrs. wow. I was thirteen. My aunt made me a holly hobby cake. I thought that was the most amazing thing i had ever seen.I cried when they cut it. My aunt then went out got me my first copy of wilton and a set of tips. cakes have been in my heart ever since.
wilton magaziones have a lot of ideas and tips she will only learn from what she reads.
good luck

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:47am
post #3 of 6

I would get one of the easier Debbie Brown books...maybe 50 Easy Party Cakes. I have that one and my daughters love to look at it for hours. Nothing in it is too hard either.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the tips. What about Hello Cupcake? I've never seen it but it "sounds" so user-friendly icon_razz.gif - I have no idea if it would be appropriate for a 9yo.

Do you think one of the Wilton yearbooks would be the right skill level?

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 6

Hello Cupcake is very appropriate and user friendly for kids. I have not made anything out of it but my kids love to look at it.

kendraskitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendraskitchen Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 6

I like the book Cakes for Kids. It's not written as a kids decorating book but mainly as a book that shows kid themed cakes. The directions are very simple to follow and they have it divided into different difficulty levels. They take a regular cake pan - either round or 9 x 13 and show how to cut it up into different designs. Their designs are simple and I'm sure a 9 year old with interest in cake decorating could do the majority of the designs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%