Food Amount/catering Question...

Lounge By lmpedersen Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 4:32am by lmpedersen

lmpedersen Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:15am
post #1 of 6

My 4 y/o and I are visiting my mom. It happens to be my sister's 40th birthday, so I offered to make a cake and dinner. I was thinking it would be Mom, my 4 y/o, my sister, her 16 y/o and me. Well, Mom ran with the idea and decided to invite aunts, uncles and cousins. We are up to 17 people confirmed for this party in her small two bedroom house. She does have a formal dining room and a small kitchen table. Those will seat a total of 12. (I suggested that we rent an extra table and chairs. She decided that wasn't necessary and others can sit on her white couch over her white carpet.)

I am planning appetizers of boursin cheese and crackers, little mini quiches made with crescent roll dough for the crust (my mini muffin pan makes 24 and she feels that is enough), and veggies and dip. My sister has requested baked beans be one of the dishes. (They have a chopped onion, a pound of hamburger, a 28 oz. can of B&M or Bush's baked beans, a can of tomato soup and 1 cup brown sugar.) I was originally planning lasagna, but I'm not sure that would go with the beans.

Anyway, I'm thinking baked BBQ chicken tenders, funeral potatoes, baked beans, and coleslaw.

The question is how many pounds of chicken should I buy? Also, would one 13x9 pan of potatoes and one batch of baked beans and one bag of store-bought coleslaw mixed with dressing be enough?

Of the 17 people attending, there will be one 4 y/o, one 6 y/o and one 12 y/o. All others will be adults.

Thank you!

5 replies
Lenette Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:25am
post #2 of 6

I don't know for sure but I wanted to suggest you PM Indydebi. She does a lot of catering and can give you an accurate answer.

wc Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:52am
post #3 of 6

I'd like to try your beans. Will you share the recipe?

lmpedersen Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:01am
post #4 of 6

I pm'd it to you WC. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:39am
post #5 of 6

All I could see was baked beans and lasagna on a white couch! icon_surprised.gif

I hate to take the magic out of it, but the best way to determine servings needed is to read the label. The Nutrition Label has a predetermined serving (like we do with our 1x2x4 cake serving size) and tells you how many servings are in that, for example) can of baked beans. So anything that starts with a pre-packaged item is pretty easy. So when you say "one batch of baked beans", I'll ask you "waht size can are you using?"

Oh wait ... I went down and saw that you referenced a 28 oz can. According to this website, a 28 oz can is 6 servings: . Yes, factor that you're adding more stuff, but using a 6 serving can to feed 17 people ..... I don't think it will work.

A #10 can (the big restaurant size) is usually 18-24 servings.

But the same thing with coleslaw: "one bag" .... how big of a bag? the bag that serves 4 or the bag that serves 10? Read the label. And remember, coleslaw kinda shrinks after you add the dressing and it sits, so i will look like less when you finally get around to eating it. I mix the coleslaw and dressing at the very last minute ... keeps it crisper, too.

Potatoes: 4 oz per person. For 15 people, you need 60 oz = 4 lbs +/-. how many lbs of potatoes will fit in your 13x9 pan? I always figure a 1/2 pan (square; you can put two of them in a chafer) will serve 20. I think these catering 1/2 pans are deeper than a standard 13x9 cake pan. Envision how the folks will scoop out the potatoes .... i would guess you'd get 12-15, maybe 18 servings. If it were me, I'd consider that "tight" and I'd do a deeper/larger pan or so an add'l small casserole dish on the side.

Chicken is usually 4 oz per person. It took me awhile to transition from number of pieces to number of pounds, but it can be done, with some logical thinking.

1 lb = 16 oz. 1 lb = four 4-oz servings. Ergo 1lb serves 4 people. A 1:4 ratio.

for 20 people, you'd need 5 lbs.

Now, here's where the logic comes in. If you are serving chicken breasts that are 8 oz each, then you can't go by the 4oz per person unless you plan to cut the breasts in half.

Hope that helps. Feel free to emaiil/PM with anythingelse you need. I'm happy to help.

lmpedersen Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:32am
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%