3-D Round Ball- Questions On How To Ice.

Decorating By onlymadaresane Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm by BakeLoveMom

onlymadaresane Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 4

So I've got a "powerball" lottery cake to do.

Thinking use the round sports ball pan (3-D) and cover it in white (the color of the ball) and then I'm lost.

Do I use fondant to cover it or is BC gonna be easier? I'm worried about getting it smooth. I'd like to AVOID star tipping it.

Any suggestions on how to get it to look nice? Any general cake ideas? I'm not restricted at all! Just a "powerball" cake!!

So fondant or BC? Tips?

3 replies
Danielle1218 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 4

I need to do almost the same thing, but I need to make a boob cake for Breast Cancer Awareness. I am going to make a 10 inch cake, put 2 boobs on it, frost with BC and then cover with fondant. I agree with the stars....too much work.

sweetcakes Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 4

im not sure how many balls are used in the powerball lottery but what about doing all 6 (again dont know how many balls) using just half the pan for each of them and then putting the customers numbers on them, I sure they play the same set all the time. Otherwise i would cover half in fondant and then hopefully rest it back int he pan to cover the other half and then try to get the seam to dissapear!!

BakeLoveMom Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 4

I have done a few ball shaped cakes covered in fondant...I have a soccer ball one in my pics. I used the wilton ball pan and put my filling between my two halves then I crumb coated the ball in bc and then covered in fondant. Hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%