Airbrush And Compressor

Business By sami_gail Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 4:25pm by -Tubbs

sami_gail Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 7

I am finallly taking the step and buying an airbrush system....BUT the question is, WHAT BRAND IS THE BEST QUALITY FOR THE MONEY??? I don't want to buy one and it not work properly...PLEASE HELP!!!!

6 replies
grandmom Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:47am
post #2 of 7

You will get a gazillion opinions because not every one has used every brand, and each person has their favorites among the brands they have actually used.

I have studied several very long threads on this topic recently. For me, it came down to two guns: Aztec and Grex. The Aztec was less expensive, but a seasoned veteran airbrusher on this forum had used an Aztec as well as several other brands and had just bought a Grex. She highly recommended the Grex. A few others chimed in agreeing.

So, I'm saving my money for a Grex. In either case, Aztec or Grex, I am buying a compressor from Harbor Freight, not the pretty matching one from Grex for much more money. The HF models are in the $50 - $70 range, something like that, and many on this forum recommend them.

sami_gail Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 7

thanks that helps alot.

littlecake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 7

i bought ones from decopac for years...

i upgraded to a paache, all the difference in the world.....i think i paid about 90 bucks.

the decopac was about 70....the twenty dollar difference was WAY worth it for no more overspray.

-Tubbs Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 7

I just got a Paasche brush, with an Iwata compressor. It was quite pricey but was my birthday gift from my husband - the engineer - who never complains about buying tools. So far I really like it, even though my skills suck heartily right now.

leah_s Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 7

Tubbs, I thought I had written that post! I too have a Paasche airbrush and a Iwata compressor, purchased by DH, and my airbrush "skills" amount to point and pull the trigger.

-Tubbs Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Tubbs, I thought I had written that post! I too have a Paasche airbrush and a Iwata compressor, purchased by DH, and my airbrush "skills" amount to point and pull the trigger.

Yep, I saw that you had that set-up on one of the other threads. I felt like a LeahS fan-girl when I read that, but I promise I'd already got mine by then!!!

Actually, I'm struggling most with mixing colours. I just tried to spray a whole cake yesterday. I thought I'd mixed a pretty pale teal, but it came out a deep, ugly blue/green. I think the problem is that the colours I have (KopyKake) are 'grocery store birthday cake' colours (very bright and vivid). Any tips on how to get a better colour mix would be gratefully received! Or do I just need to order Americolor?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%