Wires

Decorating By curi0us0ne Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 3:58am by oicuneedacake

curi0us0ne Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 7

This is a little odd, but I noticed a lot of cakes have wires with hearts or stars on them sticking out, or on a flower, then inserted in the cake. Where the heck do I get those wires? lol Any ideas?

6 replies
deetmar Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 7

When I use this technique, I put a drinking straw in the top of the cake, and then put the wires in it. You can get several wires in the straw. Hope this helps!

kristiezen920 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 7

You can get the wires at any craft store in the floral section. They are floral wires and come in different thicknesses or gauges.

Mme_K Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 7

A bit off topic, but.... a while back there was a discussion here about wires. Thought you might be interested:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-632290.html

SandiOh Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 7

ahhh, good post to link. As I am a nurse, and have seen a child die from lead ingestion (granted alot more than what would be in a wire) this is a subject I hope everyone takes to heart.

there are many ways to attach the wire to cake -- but also please remember to tell people not to eat any fondant, candy, etc that might be attached to the wire.

curi0us0ne Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 7

Oh wow, I didn't even know that. I did find the wires on a website, but I'm going to get some coffee stirrers to insert them into. You guys are the best, thanks!

oicuneedacake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:58am
post #7 of 7

Thank goodness that someone else was wondering how to get the wire that are in a lot of cakes that really aren't allowed to be in the cake it self seemed like a catch 22.. Great idea on the straws so simple but just greaticon_wink.gif
Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%