Mmf Cracks?

Decorating By alykat3392 Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 3:50am by cakesrock

alykat3392 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alykat3392 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 5

hi i am new to this, i have tried the marshmellow fondant twice and everytime i lay it acros my cake after a few min it looks like it gets little crack, not even cracks bc its not hard but little crack looking indents, is it something i did when making the fondant?i use 16 oz marsh and 2lb conf sugar. im trying to practice to make perfect for my best friends baby shower icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Lauren251 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauren251 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 5

Try when you are kneading it, knead in a little crisco with it. This will make the mmf more pliable and it should help get rid of the cracks. This will also make it a little bit easier to work with. Just dont add to much a little goes a long way.

I only use marshmellow fondant and it seems to work for me icon_smile.gif

I have also recently added a little bit of crisco in when i was making the fondant.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

alykat3392 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alykat3392 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 5

well i do grease the counter and my hands w the crisco, should i add some more into the actual mixture?

Lauren251 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauren251 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 5

When i first started making mmf i just used the crisco to grease my hands and counters, but the last few times ive made it i probably added about 1/4 a stick to the mixture while making it. When I go to knead it, its a little bit easier to knead and it comes out to the texture I want.

To avoid cracks you just need to make sure you knead it really well to when you strech it it does not break off really easily. It needs to strech some. If it breaks of easy and you have kneaded for a long time to where it is just not getting any better, knead in some more crisco it should help.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:50am
post #5 of 5

How much water do you add to the marshmallows when you microwave? I find that because I live in a very dry climate, I have to put in 3 -4 tbsp's. My recipe calls from anywhere from 2-5 tbsp's. I have also added when I'm kneading and it feels dry. That may work for you! I find that using too much crisco can make it way too pliable! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%